SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Great Fishing????????

3/15/17 @ 12:06 PM
INITIAL POST
wini
User since 3/27/06

When you hear or state there is "Great Fishing " in Canada, what does that mean to you? Some think a great morning of fishing in Canada is catching enough for a shore lunch. Others need at least a hundred walleyes a day to call it great fishing. Size? Quantity?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
5/6/17 @ 7:46 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Thanks for sharing  a great perspective Walleyedreaming!

5/5/17 @ 7:21 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Sounds like you know how to enjoy yourself.

5/3/17 @ 8:47 PM
Walleydreaming
Walleydreaming
User since 8/5/08

Great fishing is easy. Anyplace that you have your friends, kids, father, (people you love) your own boat and cold beer. If we catch a few meals and have some fish to take home to prove that we actually fished, that is a bonus. 

I plan my entire existence around my one week in Canada. I truly live for that week as it is what keeps me going. 

I have had great weeks of fishing and weeks that were not very productive. I have never once not had a memory from that week that keeps me smiling for the next year in anticipation of doing it again. 

Camp owners you know and trust are also essential to the experience. They can nickel and dime the experience to death. Or, they are like family and make you want to stay there forever (this has been my experience for the last 10 years).

I just love fishing all day and am so jacked up on adrenaline that week I can hardly contain my happiness. 

I would be the happiest man on the planet if I could stay there and fish all spring/summer/fall and return to Wisconsin to chase muskies with a sucker rig in Oct/Nov and then I would consider going back to work around December. Maybe...

Good fishing is just an escape from our daily realities and responsibilities. 

Thank God I get to go to Canada every year, or those relaties and responsibilities could make my life much less interesting and enjoyable. 

Grab a friend, loved ones, etc., pick a place and enjoy life like you were a kid again. I am smiling thinking about July 7th, the day I hit the road to the only place on earth that feels like it gives more than it takes. 

Fish below is still swimming and I know where she lives. 

4/8/17 @ 6:04 PM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

Great  fishing is a tough one.  When I go to remote areas in Canada where I seldom see another boat, in a day of fishing 100 fish for 1 person is realistic when I go to the easy access lakes I would say 20-30 fish per person a day is what I typically find.  For that reason I spend the extra effort quite often and head to the remote lakes.  I have been fishing In Ontario since 1998 and for the the most part it has  really spoiled me. I get rather bored now when I fish in Wisconsin.  

4/7/17 @ 12:15 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

Boy i remember back in the 90s we went to savant area and it was nothing to catch 100 eyes 100 lakers 100 pike each in a day. Just pick what you wanted to target and it was sore arms. While we never got any monster eyes 14 to 20 inch were the norm. we did get a few around the 28 inch mark.  pike and lakers were much differant 20 lb pike were common on a week trip maybe 10 to 15 were caught that broke that mark my best was 38lbs. lakers ranged from a few lbs to 40lbs. We use to sight fish them in 15 fow on the opener that was a kick in the pants. So for me before canada got all stupid on the crazy laws it was a must do thing. Both numbers and size we out standing. My fravorite memory is we found this big weed bed that was infested with big pike, 3 guys in the boat all 3 had 20 plus lbers on at same time. 4 differant times that day. Fished that weed bed everytime we went back for yrs always did good but nothing like that day. Not sure why that one day was so crazy good but it was nuts.  I sure miss canada. Need to go back. 

3/29/17 @ 6:48 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Haha.sounds like a good adventure.

3/27/17 @ 1:52 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

In my eyes, qunantity is not always the ticket.  I just spent 11 days on Lake Winnipeg.  We caught lots of eaters, but not many big girls like we have in years past.  The conditions were harsh, more than once it was 40 degrees one day  and raining, then dropped to near zero the next day, our auger's throttle cables were freezing up, portable fishhouses freeze together, one of our 4 wheelers went down because of all the water and slush on the lake.  I could say it stunk, but I don't.  Spent 11 days doing something I love to do, and I was with a bunch of buddies.  It was great trip!!

3/25/17 @ 8:00 AM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

Yes that is  my attitude. making the best of what you get. About  5 years ago we made a trip to cedar. We had hopes,dreams ,and expectations of catch lots and lots of walleyes in the spring.What could go wrong? We are in Canada. I think we only got 15 maybe 25 at the most for the week. Still had a great time and great fishing just the catching sucked.  

3/18/17 @ 2:28 PM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

You have a great attitude toward your holiday.its not all about numbers and size.sounds like you would enjoy your week no matter what the fishing  would be like.

3/17/17 @ 6:59 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

Any time I fish in Canada is great fishing.I look at it this way I am not at work,enjoying myself and the company of  friends and family

Yes 100 walleye in a day is great,but so is  30 a day. I fish Cedar lake had many days catching 100 walleyes and many days only getting 20 That is fishing you just have to make the best of it.

Some people think that the fish just jump in the boat in Canada.Yes some days it seem that way. Here is a secret  if they are not biting you are not going to catch them.

3/17/17 @ 2:16 PM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Crappies have been crazy.actually gets old after a hour or so.doesnt take long to get your limit (15).you would like the ice fishing.around this time of the year is best due to weather.lakers bite all the time.great battles with them.great eating to.

3/17/17 @ 1:45 PM
bob66
User since 3/6/12

too bad about the crappy fishing -- makes me want to head up for some fishing.  I always wanted to try ice fishing for lakers on Cliff.

3/17/17 @ 11:08 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Well i guess we had a bad day yesterday.between the two of us we only caught 50 lake trout in 5 hrs.should have stayed out longer.darn and i thought we had a good day.enjoyed it warm and sunny.35" of ice.took the truck out on the lake.hardly any snow cover.smooth sailing.

3/17/17 @ 10:53 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

we do a fly in.  

100 fish per day per guy is a good day  150 is great.  50 is bad.  usually we have 2-3 good days, and 1 great day.  and one bad day.   pretty awesome when a bad day is 50.  95% of the fish are 15-20 inches.  a couple mid twenties.  definitely not trophy waters.

we don't usually target pike but easy to catch 100 of those.  

3/15/17 @ 9:10 PM
Shaneb
User since 2/22/17

To me. Great fishing is 50-100 walleye a day. 20-40 smallmouth. Or 10-20 northern a day. With a good shot at a trophy in each species. 30 inch walleye, 21 inch smallmouth, 40 inch northern.

If im getting half those numbers its just average. Just my experience in canada.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE