SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

locators?

12/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
fishballs
User since 4/8/04
i was wondering whats a reasonably priced gps color locator thats easy for a newbi to use on a boat? either older model or new is fine but cheap!
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/19/15 @ 3:12 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
just adding a little more info for you to chew on you don't have to have SI for example: the Helix comes in different configurations, with or without side scan and in your price range... recommend the largest screen you can swing allow around $100 or so for a map card your going to want SD cards and readers so you can load updated software to your machine, and back up your waypoints, etc..... just don't buy the cards and reader sold by the mfg of your machine... go to Best Buy or some other source for those things, and you can get those things much much cheaper... examples: 8GB micro sd for under $5 reader/writer for under $5 get a couple cards so you have on for backups and one for software update
12/18/15 @ 11:19 PM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04
ok i was just looking at some instructional videos on using humminbird side scan locators and im completely lost! i dont want to buy sd cards and readers and all that crap, all i want is a decent locator that shows me whats below and a gps that shows me where to go and where ive been. i dont need to take time away from fishing to be trying to understand what im looking at! now which unit do i need?
12/18/15 @ 11:40 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
You can get a Humminbird Helix 7 Locator and GPS for around $450, and you can get it with Down Imaging for a littler more and still be keeping it under your $600 budget.
12/16/15 @ 9:05 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-electronics/_/N-1102704/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105684480 sale electronics at Cabela's.. other places will be closing out items to make room for the new models Reeds https://www.reedssports.com/all-products/browse/keyword/electronicsbf2 Bass Pro http://www.basspro.com/Boating/_/T-12225000000?cm_sp=ChstSlBODec2015_HMR ...I use Humminbird, have 898csi and 998csi... like them a lot have heard real good things about the Helix from a friend, the 5 and 7 are in your range http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/sonars-sonar-gps-combos/humminbird/_/N-1100517+1000003678/Ne-1000003678/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104588280?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU
12/16/15 @ 3:01 AM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04
i guess it would help to narrow it down. i dont want to spend more than 600 and id like gps in it but being a newbie i want it to be easy to operate.
12/15/15 @ 1:34 PM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
If all you want to do is read the depth of the water then cheap is fine and all locators will do that.If you want to locate fish tight to bottom or in and structure it pays to spend a little more money, You can get down and side scan now for half the price then two years ago. I like the HDS units I have two with no problems had them for 3 full seasons.
12/15/15 @ 6:51 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
The Lowrance Elite units are pretty basic and relatively inexpensive. Another thought on this is if you have a smart phone you can install the Navionics App and use that as your GPS. Then pick up a basic non-GPS locator. If you ice fish you have the stuff on your phone to use as a map as well so it's pretty handy for someone who doesn't want to or simply can't fork over a bunch of money for a combo unit. Keep your eyes out on various fishing sites besides this one. Guys will be selling their used locators and you can find some pretty decent deals on them....or check places like ebay or craigslist. They pop up on there all the time.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE