SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Enough boat for the Mighty Miss?

5/20/15 @ 12:29 PM
INITIAL POST
grahamky
User since 4/9/13
Hey guys. Dumb question but just curious to see what some of you think. I have an 87 Bayliner 1410 Fish & ski, the little mini bass boats. Strapped with a 50 horse. I've been fishing the last couple years, but have always been a lake fisherman. I'd like to present myself with a few more opportunities on the Mississippi around Cassville/Bagley area. Being its just a 14ft boat, I'll be alright out there correct? Obviously common sense & safety goes a long way. Thanks for the input fellas.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
6/29/15 @ 7:40 AM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14
I used to fish it in a 14' Lung/Shell Lake fiberglass with a 20 Chrysler on the back. Just watch the surface for wing dams and don't go nuts. Your boat should be just fine.
6/26/15 @ 4:48 PM
pool9fish
User since 3/7/11
cds, It is almost spooky that you knew that. It's a Mariner.
6/10/15 @ 8:06 AM
rivrbanks
User since 2/2/15
One other thing I carry in the boat that has come in handy over the years, is a long pair of jumper cables. I've jumped other boaters, as well as being jumped. Because of the expense, I run my batteries as long as I can. I've had to jump start the motor off the trolling motor batteries a few times, because running the aireator pump all day pulled the starter battery down.
6/3/15 @ 12:14 PM
grahamky
User since 4/9/13
I appreciate all the input guys. I finally braved it out and dropped the ol Bayliner on the Miss outside of Wyalusing Park. Got around very well actually.. Did get a little nervous at one point coming out of a cut, back into the channel. Traffic got pretty heavy and I caught a sideways as I was trying to straighten out. Thought I was gonna have water come over the transom for a second.. that woulda been a bad deal with the boat not having a bilge pump. Any more tips on handling the boat in general out on the channel? Definitely a lot different than being on an inland body.
6/2/15 @ 3:18 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
I use to fish the Mississippi quite a bit years ago. You can not be to careful on anybody of water. Respect it and have a blast. YOU never know what you will catch and how big it will be. Good fishing!
5/22/15 @ 7:40 PM
pool9fish
User since 3/7/11
You shouldn't have any problem. I have a 15hp outboard on my 14ft boat and it is plenty strong enough for the current. I fish on the river about 50 times a year. Rivrbanks gives good advice. Good luck and good fishing.
5/22/15 @ 11:35 AM
grahamky
User since 4/9/13
Thank you for your input! I really do appreciate it.
5/21/15 @ 7:42 AM
rivrbanks
User since 2/2/15
You'll be fine. Always check the weather forecast. Pay close attention to wind direction. Wind direction blowing against the current can really stack up the white caps. Try to launch down river from where you want to fish, the current can bring you back if you have motor problems. Always be sure you have plenty of gas, and a well charged cell phone. For poles laying on the deck, always run with the reels on your poles toward the front of the boat. You can loose a pole while traillering down the road, or hitting a boat wake, if the rod tip is forward and bounces up into the wind. Carry a tow rope just in case. I average towing at least one person a year, and eventually you may need a tow yourself. Always have something on board you can start a fire with. Hope you never have to spend the night on an island, but if you do, a fire can be a life saver. A Corp of Engineers river map book is a good investment, you want to know where the wing dams are. Always carry a full bag of common sense and courtesy and you'll be fine. Hpoe this helps.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE