MORE
Boats & Motors

Replacing boat floor

10/22/14 @ 5:19 AM
INITIAL POST
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
Is it really necessary to use marine or treated wood to replace the floor.Would it be ok to use regular plywood and treat it with a sealer of some kind considering carpet will be glued down over it.The boat will not be left out in inclement weather.Also what is an easy way to replace floatation material,and with what.Just looking for some opinions,thanks.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
11/1/14 @ 3:04 PM
bonz-dragon
User since 6/16/09
If you haven't started this yet consider going to iboats.com and visit the restore section. You can read and see what many others are doing. Question I have is this a glass or aluminum boat? I am in the process of redoing my second boat. A 16' Alumacraft Classic. You can use marine ply if you like but it is not necessary. BCX or ACX woorks just fine and there is no differeance in the glue. The differeance is in the quality of the plies. The real secret is in sealing the plywood. Most use an epoxy resin, poly resin becomes brittle if used w/o cloth. On the Lund I redid 6 years ago I sealed it with 6 coats of marine spar varnish on both sides and 8 coats on all the edges. After 6 years it is still solid and still looks as good as the day I finished it. And tat was using BCX plywood from Home Depot. The carpet I bought thru Cabelas.
10/30/14 @ 9:01 PM
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06
I have a'92 Mirro agressor 1625, and am considering changing it to a tiller. Anyone do this by themselves. I'd appreciate any input fellow L/L'ers. The lines of the boat don't seem dated to me at least.
10/26/14 @ 10:11 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i just used treated lumber but i roll on bedlinered the entire inside of the boat.
10/22/14 @ 9:22 PM
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06
You"ll need to use marine grade because the glue holding the laminations together is different than on regular plywood. Separating from the bottom side is just as bad as the top. Marine is pricey but thats the way it is, I did it 6 yrs. ago and it is a job you don't want to do more than necessary.
10/22/14 @ 5:50 PM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
Thanks for the input guys.
10/22/14 @ 2:27 PM
Major Mark
Major Mark
User since 5/20/05
Marine grade always, treated lumber NEVER (if used on an aluminum boat)
10/22/14 @ 12:23 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
I agree with Muskie Nut, if you're going to take the time to replace the floor, do it right and use marine grade. I would also use some type of glue, contact cement for carpet, and seal the floor with that when you replace the carpeting. Should be good to go for a long time.
10/22/14 @ 11:02 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
I had a bad spot in my Tuffy after about 15 yrs. After peeling back the carpet I found out that they didn't seal just one of the holes that they use to inject flotation below the floor. It rotted out from there. I would use marine grade plywood, because I wouldn't want to to the job again in a few years. Its a small price to pay to have that last longer. I also sealed the new piece with resin as well. Do the job right the 1st time and be done with it.
10/22/14 @ 7:24 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Check out tinboat.net They have more info than you can shake a stick at.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE