LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Figured out what was wrong with my choke...

8/31/14 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
I purchased a 1980's Evinrude 9.9 earlier this spring for the duck skiff. If I used it frequently it would start up on the first or second pull. However if it sat for a week or longer, I'd have to pull it 7 or 8 times. Since I plan to use it for Duck hunting, I was worried that it may give me some grief once it got colder outside. The funny thing was, when I pulled out the choke knob, it did absolutely nothing - almost as if it wasn't even connected to anything. When I tried to look at it, I couldn't see anything because the choke linkage was burried underneath the air box. This morning I started pulling everything apart to see what was going on. Really funny, whoever owned the motor before me must have pulled the carb out at some point in the past - when they put the carb back in they put the choke lever in upside down, so it could not catch the choke linkage or retaining clip. I rotated it 180 degrees and reinstalled it, and it works like a champ. Never know what you are going to find when you tear into something. The take away is - always look at a parts breakdown, as the person who took it apart before you may have put it back together wrong. Here is link to the parts break down - the part they had in wrong was #19 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1983/E10RCTC/CARBURETOR%20%26%20MANIFOLD/parts.html Last winter I pulled the chain case on my boy's 600 Polaris and found a similar problem...
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
9/2/14 @ 1:15 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
also never assume a new part works cause its new.
9/1/14 @ 9:39 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05
good advice, also had the same problem with my Stihl trimmer, the choke was just slipping on the spline and doing nothing, probably fixed it with a piece of duct tape, not sure, been a long time ago, but it still works great.....
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE