MORE
Boats & Motors

Would you take this fishing boat?

4/21/14 @ 9:59 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I have a gift offered to me for a 14 foot 2012 Alumacraft Fisherman 145 boat that would be for my family to store, maintain and use. Totally paid for. Only expenses would be the upkeep, insurance, shrinkwrapping etc.. Only problem is that I prefer to fish small lakes. A trolling motor and a john boat or a kayak is what I usually do. No hassle. Load the boat in the truck bed and go. It's a really nice boat. 25 HP motor. Clean boat. Fish finder. 1 year warranty. I would maybe use it 5 -7 times a year. Like I said, I usually am not one to go on waters that require too much speed or mobility. I've only had canoes and john boats etc... So, since I've never really considered a regular fishing boat, for those that have one, what are some of the hassles and joys to expect? Insurance costs? Shrinkwrapping? General upkeep? It's a great gift, but I don't want this to be money unwisely spent either on the relative. I'm weighing the plusses and minuses. Thoughts??? Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
4/30/14 @ 6:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
n.pike- A bit off topic, but you mentioned that you enjoy canoeing in Vilas County. I love to kayak / canoe. One year we started at Aurora Lake in Vilas County (hardly a lake) and went into Aurora Creek, and ended up in Plum Lake. It is an all day trek, but really, really, really, remote. Guaranteed you will not run into anybody. No beer cans, soda bottles, or litter of any type. To be honest, I felt like our group was the first to ever do it.
4/30/14 @ 5:02 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Thanks for all your comments guys! I got the boat and it just took some time to think through it all as the offer came so suddenly. I look at it as a long term investment. I might not use it a ton from the get-go, but as time goes on, it will be a great thing to have. Plus, it's so new that I just don't forsee a ton of issues or nightmares. I'm not Mr. Boat motor fixer, so I don't have the ability to be working on something that's always giving me hassles. I know the kids will enjoy this better than the John boat. Certain waters on my radar are now accessable, plus, I have friends and extended family without any boat and I know they'd be happy to go fishing. Some of those guys have helped me out a lot in the past with stuff, so it's one way I can say thanks to them. My wife is really excited too. A 16 would be good maybe down the road, but we'll start with the 14 and learn the ropes. I won't abandon the John Boat and Kayak though. With 1300 lakes up here in Vilas and hardly that many people living here, there are a lot of lakes where it's just me and the water and hopefully a few fish too, and I really appreciate that type of fishing a whole lot!
4/29/14 @ 8:40 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
I saw you mention the offer could apply to any boat, as well as you having three kids, plus a wife I'm assuming. Not to make you out to seem like a greedy person, but if it truly does apply to just a boat in general, you should consider looking at like a 16 foot boat. Not to say you'd always have everybody out at the same time, but in a few years when your youngest wants to go with you and your older kids, you'll appreciate having the room to take him/her instead of saying there's not enough room. the extra room even if it's just three of you would be enjoyable. I'm sure there are layouts similar to the 14 footer you mentioned.
4/28/14 @ 7:51 PM
weedweesle69
User since 7/29/12
Its only a 14ft boat expenses will be minamal
4/27/14 @ 3:05 PM
Badwolf
User since 6/13/07
A 14' with a 25 hp motor would be fine on what I would call small lakes (we might define the term differently. It would certainly be better with small kids then tippy little things you have been using. I recommend taking the boat. Oh, insurance is cheap. Maintenance isn't bad, change the lower unit lube every fall and the oil if it is 4 stroke. That is the majority of it.
4/27/14 @ 9:51 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Good post Snakester...
4/26/14 @ 12:08 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
I too like to fish out of my canoe. But with younger kids its safer and more enjoyable to fish from a boat. Fishing in a canoe with a 8 year old is not enjoyable to me so i think your new boat will serve you well in this regard. If youve got some tips on fishing with youngsters from a canoe or kayak I would love to hear them.
4/26/14 @ 9:29 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Thanks for all your opinions guys. I know it seems a silly question. Who wouldn't want a boat? But the tricky thing is that it's a standing offer for anytime and can be applied to any boat (s) so it's not this boat or nothing. It's a family gift and I also have the option of looking around and finding something else. I'm asking guys on Lake Link because I figure they'd have good insight and most have owned boats. I really wanted to hear some pros and cons of boat ownership in general since I've never had one. And I did, so thanks! Plus, how does this boat specifically seem to sound? From all accounts, I'm hearing positive things about it from you guys and others. I have never owned a boat other than a John and usually fish the small lakes and enjoy that. I do know it would be fun for the kids and wife to have a a fishing boat, so that's partly the idea of the gift. But we do a lot of other outdoor stuff too, so iI wonder how often we'd get out and of how long a shot. With my kids being 8, 5, and not even a year, is this the right timing? This offer came out of the blue, so to put it in relative terms, it might be like if somebody offered your family a free Harley, permanent ice shack, a horse, trampoline, or a large hauling trailer. All would be great items that have value, but do they fit the needs of you and your family? So, thanks for the feedback and thoughts. Appreciate it.
4/24/14 @ 8:20 PM
sylvan81
User since 5/23/12
Take the boat!!! Then give it to me. I will maintain it, store it inside and let you use it all the times you want it!!!
4/24/14 @ 3:16 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
This is silly question. I would take a leaky canoe if someoen was nice enough to offer to me. Take the boat.
4/24/14 @ 2:21 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02
Really ???? If you have to ask that question.....you shouldn't own a boat. It is such a silly question it seems like a question a 6th grader would ask........ You have better insight on you personal finances, capabilities and family dynamics. What input by strangers could possibly matter? Wondering
4/23/14 @ 8:21 PM
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
User since 1/28/13
You will probaly go in the upper 20's for speed wide open.
4/23/14 @ 1:32 PM
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
User since 7/14/07
It's a great deal. I had the same boat with a 25 HP Johnson. In the winter I always took the motor off and stored in the basement. I then turned the boat over on the trailer braced with 2 x 4's. In spring put the motor back on and greased the wheel bearings. Really not much up keep. Oh yes, you'll have to changed the lower unit fluid. Well worth the little up keep there is. Hope this helps.
4/23/14 @ 8:38 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Absolutely take the boat. It will open up a number of opportunities for you to hit more lakes and get to spots you maybe couldn't before. And it's not like you need to choose between just this or a canoe/kayak. Use those when you want to hit smaller waters and the boat when you're looking to do more intense fishing or taking friends/family. Just the comfort factor alone will tell you you made the right choice. You'll be surprised at how fast that 25 will move you. I have an older 15 on my 14 foot alumacraft (typical bench seater) and I feel it really goes. As far as storage, getting a good cover is your best bet. Don't make the mistake I made and buy a cheap one. Spend the money and get something that will last for years. If storing it outdoors, if you have room and the funds to get one of those temporary garage deals, it will help keep the boat cover in good shape and last longer since it won't be getting wet and drying and baking in the sun constantly. Wish I'd taken my own advice lol. Happy boating!
4/23/14 @ 8:05 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
Sounds like a great opportunity. Get a decent cover and trailer lock so you won't have to store in garage. Look at the Navigloo product for winter storage and it will be cheaper in the long run for winter storage.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE