SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Yamaha 150 smokes on start

2/17/19 @ 10:38 AM
INITIAL POST
barneythecop
User since 3/12/02

I have a 1992 Lund ProV with a 1993 Yamaha 150 outboard.  Engine has oil injection.  Smokes substantially on initial start.  Took to mechanic who said the oil injection pump is beginning to fail.  Yamaha does not make replacement parts for this year engine.  Other replacement pumps would have to be modified and would cost a good deal to modify.  Suggestion is to disable the injector pump and treat the gas with oil as we used to do.  Any suggestions at to how to disable the injector pump? Is it merely removing any electronic or mechanical leads which would disable it?  

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
3/7/19 @ 3:35 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07

I have a 2007 150 Yamaha 2 stroke. I never have to worry about mosquitoes in the morning cause she smokes like a chimney. I run Yamalube oil and it is very smoky. It runs like a champ. I change the plugs every year and mix ring free and sea foam through it. 

2/20/19 @ 9:38 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

As long as it runs well idle to wide open, I don't see anything to worry about. I get a bit embarrassed starting mine up at the landing 1st time in the spring as the exhaust can overwhelm others who are downwind to the side. I get the looks, but it is what it is. Great running motor with initial fumes.

2/20/19 @ 1:14 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

It's my dad's boat, so I can chime in. 

It blows a huge cloud on initial start up after sitting for days/weeks/months (doesn't get used as much as it should, right dad?) but after it's running for a while it doesn't smoke much, even starting up after sitting for a few hours (from what I recall anyway). But the following morning after sitting for 8+ hours, it'll be pretty thick again to start, but same deal after a while.

It runs great from from idle to WOT from what I can tell, just a bit smokey at the start of the day.

And aside from the thickness/size of the cloud, I'd consider it to be normal for a two stroke myself, but my only comparison is our old family boat I now have with a 1976 85HP Javelin/Johnson. It smokes a bit at the start, but nothing compared to his, although I have to mix my gas. It too does not get used nearly as much as it should.  

2/20/19 @ 12:23 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Does it smoke a lot on initial starting after not being used much or all the time? Mine smokes also 1st time of year or after not using for a while. Rest of the day it is minimal. I thought that was typical of a 2 stroke?

2/20/19 @ 8:15 AM
barneythecop
User since 3/12/02

Thank you for the feedback.  I did have  all the fuel lines replaced last year. Spoke to a service person in Appleton for about 15 minutes.  Might be as simple as the check valves in the lines.  Bringing it in after it comes out of storage.  Will post the results later.  

2/18/19 @ 5:16 PM
Walleye 1
User since 6/22/01

Check boats.net for Yamaha parts. They have good diagrams and great service. I've ordered items for my 1998 Yamaha that the dealers told me they couldn't source. 

2/17/19 @ 7:55 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I’m not sold on your VRO pump being faulty.  If it only smokes at start-up or lower speeds, you may simply have an air leak in one of your fuel lines. This can cause your fuel to get foamy, and leaves the motor without a constant supply of fuel.  

Foamy fuel can also cause your fuel pump to cycle more, which in turn will increase the amount of oil, and it will smoke like crazy.  

The VRO pump gets blamed for all sorts of issues that have nothing to do with the pump.  

I’d get a second opinion on your VRO pump being faulty, I believe it is likely something else.  

2/17/19 @ 1:55 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I would be leery of the advice given to just run fuel mixed with oil. Running a straight mixture of say 50:1 gives you that ratio at idle all the way to wide open throttle. Fine for smaller hp motors. Larger hp motors like yours are more efficient when the mix ratio is geared to the rpms you are running, oil injection is designed for that. 

2/17/19 @ 1:34 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04
Did you call Yamaha to verify what you were told?
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE