SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Trailer lights

4/16/19 @ 8:09 AM
INITIAL POST
bolognapony
User since 9/25/12

Do you guys like LED Trailer lights, I want to upgrade my lights and,  Looking to get some for my boat, not sure how people like them.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
4/20/19 @ 11:06 AM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

I just converted to LED and they are much better. I would recommend! My son did his trailer also.

4/20/19 @ 7:29 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
User since 5/20/05

you DO get what you pay for.  Research them before buying.  Various manufacturers make similar looking lights.  Size dimensions may be the same (so they can be direct replacements for popular brand trailers) but then the variations begin.  The number of diodes per light can vary from 6 diodes per, all the way up to 20+.  Marker lights can vary from 1 diode up to 6, 8, or 10+.  Also warranties vary greatly.  Some may have a 1 year warranty while some will have 2, 3, 5 or lifetime.  Read the fine print also on application usage.  There is a difference between waterproof and submersible.  I found mine on Amazon.  Each taillight has 22 diodes, each marker light has 10 diodes (I like bright visibility).

You will never regret switching to LEDs!

4/20/19 @ 3:22 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have had a set on my trailer for about 4 years without a single issue. My trailer lights are recessed into a housing on the back of my trailer (great for protecting the light assemblies, sucks for changing bulbs!), which required the entire tail light assembly be removed to change the bulbs. I got sick of doing this, so I went the LED route and boy am I glad I did! They are WAY brighter than the old incandescent bulbs and I haven't had to replace any bulbs for a few years, which has been great! I will add that I used heat shrink butt splices when I wired my trailer, which has kept the connections from corroding and the lights from going out or being dim. Overall, I have been very pleased with the lights. I got an entire wiring kit for my trailer complete with tail lights, marker lights and the wiring harness for about $50. Quite possibly some of the best money I've ever spent on boating equipment! In my opinion, you will NOT regret installing LED lights. Just take the time to install them properly (connections, grounds, etc.) the first time and they will provide YEARS of trouble-free service!

Edit to add: They make two kinds of LED lights...those that are submersible and those that are NOT! The non-submersible ones are about $10-15 per set cheaper, and will not hold up to being repeatedly dunked in the lake. Make sure you get a quality set of lights that are submersible.

4/18/19 @ 9:42 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

LED's are great, they don't burn out, or break when submerged into water.  Well worth the investment if you are replacing your current lights.

4/16/19 @ 8:55 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

I believe Fleet has them on sale this week.  40$  for pair. Just looked at new flyer

4/16/19 @ 8:49 AM
bolognapony
User since 9/25/12

Thanks guys, do you have some that you like?  Or is any brand better than others?

4/16/19 @ 8:41 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

I put them (LED) on my boat trailer in 2001 and like the energizer bunny they keep on going. Mounted on guide posts so they don't get submerged, I did once clean the connections at the lights as they looked a little rusty but other than that just plug in and go.

4/16/19 @ 8:30 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

They help you be seen--brighter. They do not break when you forget to unplug trailer and cold water breaks a hot bulb. They need good ground, have them on winter trailers and salt corrodes mount wire and they then only light one or two of leds.

Like them!

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE