SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

New Prop Noise

5/21/18 @ 3:01 AM
INITIAL POST
JKenny
User since 6/25/10

I just purchased a new prop for my 2016 Evinrude 150HP.  The prop I purchased is a OEM prop from Evinrude and the pitch is exactly what I had on it before.  I was just replacing the old one because it had some minor chips and scraps.  I installed the new one and took it out for the first time this year and at 800-900 rpm I’m getting a whistling/ringing noise and a small shutter.  I returned the prop and put a 2nd new prop on the motor and it is doing the same thing.  What in the world could this be? Before I had it winterized the boat last year it wasn’t making this noise.  Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance. 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
5/23/18 @ 9:54 AM
JKenny
User since 6/25/10
Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the lower unit oil and their is fluid and it looks clear, not milky like water is leaking through the seals.  I’m absolutely perplexed on this thing, because  I’m not running stainless, just aluminum so the hub is not the issue.  I am heading to Eagle River this weekend, I guess we will see how she does. Thanks again
5/21/18 @ 11:19 AM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Not sure why it would start now if the exact same prop, but it might possibly be "prop chatter" - might want to google it. I had the shudder issue with my boat, I needed to swap out the prop hub out to a different model.

Took care of the shudder on mine. Apparently stainless props are known to cause this if the hub is not upgraded.

Mine is a Merc 150 four stroke.

Also, I would check the gearcase lube to make sure whoever winterized it filled it back up.....

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE