MORE
Boats & Motors

Motor Question

7/28/16 @ 9:21 AM
INITIAL POST
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I got a 50 hp Mariner tiller, I believe its a 1999.  I've always winterized and stored it in the garage in winters and never had a problem. This year I had it out and it was running great like it always had. We were heading in when the motor just shut down, I mean it stopped so hard it threw my brother and I to the floor. We restarted the motor and we could put it in forward and it would work but as soon as I gave it any throttle it would start to shake and then shut down hard again.  I drained to lower unit oil to see how bad the damage was and surprisingly it wasn't bad, so I refilled it and put the muffs on and it started fine, in neutral it will throttle it all the way open, so I put it in gear and throttled up and it got wide open without a problem. So I took it out to a small local lake and as soon as I started to throttled up it did it again. Does this sound like a blown lower unit or something else? My local boat shop  says its 150$ just to look at it. Any input would be appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/4/16 @ 6:02 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Sheared gears. That's why it would run fine with the muffs and went to pot with load on it.

8/3/16 @ 7:58 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

A wide human, any update on your motor yet?

7/28/16 @ 12:45 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
Can't wait to here what this problem is...I put my money on a lower unit. It sounds like you have a chipped gear causing it to lock up.  Check the lower unit and see if you have any bulges on it.  The gears are real tight in the lower unit and sometimes when a gear is chipped it will make bulges. I just don't understand the rough running problem. When it locked up it caused another problem.. 
7/28/16 @ 10:55 AM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

I kinda had a problem like that. Only i have a 90hp 4 stroke efi.  Felt like one or two cylinders were shutting down as soon as u put a load on it on the lake. Still did it in the driveway but not as bad since it wasnt pushing much of a load.  Ended up being the fuel regulator was stuck open and causing my engine to make oil.  Really could be a couple of things.  We went thru the whole fuel delivery system, to spark plugs, to coils, before we finally found the problem

7/28/16 @ 9:44 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Thats a tough one.  Is the motor shutting down as in stopping running, or does the prop shaft stop spinning.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE