MORE
Boats & Motors

90 HP Yamaha new lower unit issue

8/13/17 @ 6:35 PM
INITIAL POST
reefhawg
reefhawg
User since 1/23/10

Greetings, I repowered my ranger 690T 9 years ago with a Yamaha 90. While I could use a bit more power at times, have been very happy with adequately quick hole shot, and 35mph with two guys/gear.

I hit a stump awhile back at low trolling speed which killed the motor. Over time, the gears eventually started to severely 'grind'. I took to my Marina where was determined I needed a lower unit. Today was the first time out with it, and I could hardly get on plane with wife and kids which has never been an issue, with top speed reduced. No other setting was changed, and my prop wasn't damaged, as I was still getting same performance just after hitting the stump. The motor is very smooth, but just not seeing the power/take off/speed that I was before my old gear case went.

Is it possible that there is a different gear ratio in this new unit? It 'looks' the same as the old one sans the new paint. Just hoping to remedy this soon before my Canada trip.

Thanks much for any insight.

Jason Schillinger

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
8/29/17 @ 4:45 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

While reading your post I was thinking you got a different lower case gear ratio (in this case higher) and prior to you asking the question about that.  I check that 1st.

8/22/17 @ 6:55 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The 90 two stroke has always been 2.0, but the four stroke is 2.27. Are you sure that you don't have a four stroke lower unit?

8/22/17 @ 12:42 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

If you have a tach you will know if the gear ratio is different. Your peak rpm a top speed will be much lower if it's the gear ratio.

It's very likely that is the issue. You can also look at the part number of the replacement gearbox and have the dealer give you the ratio. You should be able to find the original ratio in the owners manual or on line for your model year.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE