MORE
Boats & Motors

5 horse Merc to 9.9.

4/27/24 @ 11:59 AM
INITIAL POST
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Merc has a deal going on till end of May ..  They will give you a free 4 yr. extended warranty and 200 off for a 9.9 horse.  So, I decided to upgrade my Crestliner 1850 Fish hawk to a 9.9.. They only gave me $700 for the 5 horse though . It has 282 hrs. on it . I put an hr. meter when I first got it. Never had a problem with it, but just a bit too small . I had to go half throttle just to get 3MPH. and wide open it only went 4.3 mph.. I am sure it is a much smoother outboard with the 2 cyl. instead of the one cyl.. Does anyone have a 8 or 9.9 Merc kicker? And how do you like it?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
5/29/24 @ 8:01 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Yes, I have had the same strange choke, no choke half choke problem too. Not sure why. I dont have the pro, so I have the carbs.
5/28/24 @ 6:43 PM
Noknot
User since 12/23/21
if you have a prokicker with high thrust prop thats about it  its not made for speed   but pushing power at lower rpm's and yes they are a fickle cold hearted  motor   mine fires off in full choke cold start like bam  let it warm up and then try and figure out how long to get to half choke and put it in gear then no choke  has been a true adventure for me for 2 years   
5/28/24 @ 2:02 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
  I have 16 hrs. on the new 9.9 and some observations..  It is still a finicky outboard engine, but it is really smooth. I have a Crestliner 1850 Fish hawk tiller . The 5 horse pushed it 4 mph . Thinking getting the 9.9 I would go at least 8 mph.  It surprised me that I a only getting 5.5 mph top speed. However , I should not be surprised despite my adding 100% horsepower and only getting 30% more speed.  Had I knew that, I would have been glad to just get the 8 horse and saved $300 . The difference between 8 and 9.9 ended up being nothing at all. Many say get the 9.9 instead , but it makes almost no difference . It makes sense cause to get 5.5 mph when running my 90 horse Optimax it needs 1,800 rpms so there is a lot of water to push.
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE