SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2016 Western Hunts

1/14/16 @ 5:29 PM
INITIAL POST
dc cady
User since 3/10/07
Let's hear about your plans and hopes for this season. I will once again put in for a limited draw elk tag in Wyoming. My brother and I have max points and hope luck is on our side when the draw comes.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 84 posts
6/14/17 @ 3:24 PM
prusta81
User since 1/19/09

In September 2016 two friends and I, all from Wisconsin headed out on our first ever western hunt.  It was a do-it-yourself archery elk hunt in an over-the-counter unit.  I feel as if we were prepared as we could be going out there and were fortunate enough to harvest a 330" bull.  Moral of the story, if you're thinking about heading out west but are hesitant because it seems like a daunting task - just go do it, you'll have no regrets!

Here's the video from our hunt (Click here).  Enjoy!

10/29/16 @ 8:55 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01

We had a good hunt, North of Gunnison. Yes it was warm out.

10/26/16 @ 10:46 AM
Fishy1960
User since 10/15/15

I  was successful on my solo Drop camp in SW Colorado- Full moon and warm temps made for tough hunting-but I was able to watch this bull go into dark timber on day 3 of my hunt and  bed at Daylight- I positioned  for an afternoon/evening hunt-he came out of the timber with only 5 minutes of shooting light left-easy 125 yard shot!

10/20/16 @ 8:41 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07

Last load for me off the mountain.

10/20/16 @ 6:57 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Another bull down...

10/20/16 @ 12:45 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Drptine

Awesome animal!  Story please! 

Big Mac 

10/19/16 @ 9:24 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
BULL DOWN!
10/6/16 @ 8:08 PM
SB Dad
User since 8/16/09

Had another good trip to Wyoming.Antelope numbers still down in our area but seem to be getting better.Deer are coming back also but I did not draw a tag this year.Got this buck the first morning.Had the tenderloins tonight!Time to get after the Whitetails here at home now!

10/5/16 @ 10:16 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

Good luck to you and your brother dc. Hope you have a great time.

10/5/16 @ 7:27 AM
dc cady
User since 3/10/07

My brother is stopping by after work to pack the truck then off to Wyoming tomorrow morning. Our unit 16 elk hunt will start Sunday. It's been 11 years in the making and I can't believe it's finally here. I'll post my hopefully good results when I return. Good hunting to all!

10/2/16 @ 7:42 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Wow, never thought that Nebraska would have Bighorns! They are an awesome animal! .

Does Nebraska have a healthy antelope population?  And is it only the far western side?

Big Mac 

10/1/16 @ 7:06 PM
toothycritter
toothycritter
User since 7/9/01

Very hard for nonresident to get antelope tag in Nebraska coolest thing is I always see Bighorns I have had full curl rams within 30 yds twice

9/30/16 @ 10:31 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Toothy critter

That really sounds tempting!  But I just checked my vacation calendar & I'm already off the week  after your dates.  But I would like to know more,  if it's something I can do next year. Is there a good antelope population there, or none at all Big Mac 

9/30/16 @ 4:34 AM
toothycritter
toothycritter
User since 7/9/01

Looking for someone to go to the Pine Ridge area of NW Nebraska rifle hunt for deer.Tag is $229 good for 1 deer mule deer buck,whitetail buck or whitetail doe.Season is Nov 12-20 guys I normally go with all backed out.Quality public land hunt in the past we have shot bucks nearing 150 inches and have seen bigger.Will try to post photos have to retrieve them from an old computer.I know its short notice but don't want to go alone for safety reasons and its nice to have help when you are 3 miles from truck.If interested my phone number is 920-639-6351 call or text thanks Toothy

9/21/16 @ 12:51 PM
take'em!
User since 9/8/11

Got back on Sunday and it was a great hunt! I had 7 mature bulls at 70 yards or less with 4 different bulls including 2 herd bulls at 35 yards or less. I shot a 6X6 herd bull on the last day i had to hunt but hit him about 3 inches high of his body midline. If he was on level ground would have been fine but he was up hill of me so i am pretty confident i missed both lungs. Tracked for 1/2 mile before we lost the last little bit of blood we were following. He had a very distinctive bugle and about 1 hour after i shot him we heard his bugle in front and down the mountain from us. As we tracked that is exactly where the blood trail lead us. P am pretty confident that the bull will live. Only had 12 or so inches of penetration when we found the arrow so thinking i must have hit a rib on the other side. Either way it was a pretty awesome hunt and yes, the bugling really picked up towards the end of the week. We could have hunted another half day but i marked my tag on the bull i hit. 

RodBendr, 

Good luck! you are probably headed there or already in mountains. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 84 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE