MORE
Bass Fishing

What hook for plastic crayfish?

8/19/15 @ 12:26 PM
INITIAL POST
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
I tried soft plastic (SP) crayfish for smallmouth recently. I was happy with how they worked, but they were pretty much unfishiable after one fish because the plastic would tear. I was using a worm hook, going through the tail of the SP crayfish and out the side, then coming back into the bait near the head to create a weedless presentation. I used a small bullet weight above the hook. The tail of the SP crayfish would get torn-up so bad that they became useless after one fish. Looking for a better hooking method, any suggestions?
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
9/25/16 @ 6:59 PM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05

Watch this video and give this a try. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOkBXxPhyU

8/1/16 @ 4:28 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

The Gamakatsu skipgap hooks are a good option if you arent dealing with too much grass. Its a strange shape but works very well and keeps the bait up on the hook. I use them a lot for things like craws in the rocks. 

6/26/16 @ 8:09 AM
basscaster
User since 6/21/01

Just bring your crawdad to a baitshop and ask them for a good hook(5 hooks-$4). I would guess a 3/0 ewg gamme or if you have something smaller than a beaver(crawdad ) maybe a 2/0 ewg gamme.

9/2/15 @ 7:15 PM
skeeterbite
User since 4/12/14
Plastics are gonna tear, some more than others. I love fishin plastics, but thats the price i pay. The twist lock hooks before mentioned are best lil invention for helping to keep em on, so simple. Wish i had invented it.
8/31/15 @ 2:09 PM
mtndue
User since 8/5/09
A 2 or 3 worm hook. if it is a craw worm bite the worm off in back of the rudder take hook a 1/4 inch in and back out take hook end toward to head of craw and bring it up from the belly to the back of the craw fish. Make sure the bait is flat no humps and re insert hook point into top and skin hook it.
8/20/15 @ 8:23 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
I would suggest super glue to keep the craw up on the hook. Just don't glue your fingers together . Been there done that !
8/19/15 @ 1:01 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
You can try the hooks with a twist lock for soft plastics. They have a wire screw you just thread into the bait. Owner makes a good one. Seems to hold a bit better and a little longer.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE