SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Flourocarbon Pros and Cons

2/8/16 @ 4:35 PM
INITIAL POST
Josh Holliday
User since 12/20/03
does anyone have any first hand experience with flouro on a spinning reel and what else do you like it for??
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
2/1/17 @ 5:04 PM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13
You definitely get what you pay for with Fluorocarbon. Avoid Berkley like the plague Pline, Seaguar, Sunline, Toray are good lines to try.
2/1/17 @ 7:46 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I've used it.  the only stuff I found to be very good was by P-Line.  All the Berkley stuff was a coiled mess.  I use it now only for jigging through the ice.  

It casts nice,  but I mainly fish rocks,  so I don't use it often because it sinks faster and I feel you get more snags with it.

it's strong,  I like it for ice fishing and it seems more clear to me so I believe the claims to be true.  clear water lakes during ice fishing it could be a difference maker at times.  I can't 100% prove that though.

1/25/17 @ 10:32 AM
Fishy1960
User since 10/15/15

Its great on a Carolina rig with as a leader-on clear water lakes and  anything moving slow- it makes a difference.

1/18/17 @ 11:00 AM
BassGirl71
User since 1/18/17

I agree with what others here are saying.  For me, it's a little too unruly to use a full spool of it, but as a leader it works pretty well.  I guess I don't fish enough lakes that are so highly pressured that I have to worry about using fluoro over another supposedly more visible line.

1/16/17 @ 3:14 PM
5bass4rbs
User since 5/14/11

Try this on your spinning reel; main line with braid of your choose, cast out as far as you can, now cut the casted line off at the reel and replace with your floro or mono (your choose). Now you will have the best of both world. Not to mention; no knot skip at first cast. Generally you will have about 100 to 120 feet of line out to make your cast and no override or loops. good luck.

5/2/16 @ 12:39 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I only use Flourocarbon for leaders, I don't user it as a full spool. But Ed is right below, Flourocarbon sinks, so don't use it on anything that needs to float.
5/2/16 @ 12:14 PM
topam
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
I use flourocarbon on anything that sinks. I use mono on anything that I want to float.. I use braid on anything that I want to skip behind a dock or fish over a cable. I like braid while fishing a buzz bait or a Zara Spook. All lines I feel you get what you pay for .. I am not much for using flourocarbon on spinning reels. Anytime I put line on a spinning reel I let the line out behind the boat with nothing on the leader. I then pull it for several hundred yards or even a mile.This will get all of the twist out of it. Then it lays on the reel better.
4/27/16 @ 3:46 PM
wiel0059
User since 6/20/14
Not straight fluorocarbon, no. A few years ago I started running braid mainline with various fluoro leaders depending on application on all my spinning reels and I'd never go back. Hook sets, casting distance, strength, etc are all improved with this. Baitcasters I use mostly all fluoro and love it. I'm with the mention of Red Label, its cheap, but I've had great success with it over the past 3 years. With fluoro, tying a good knot is absolutely critical. I highly recommend the San Diego Jam Knot...
3/27/16 @ 7:49 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
I never use it. Too much stretch.
3/26/16 @ 9:03 PM
.Pan Handler.
.Pan Handler.
User since 5/8/08
I actually have had great luck with Seaguar Red Label, their lowest end fluoro. I use KVD line and lure conditioner when I first put it on and provided I don't backlash too bad it lasts a long time. Good knot strength and the memory isn't bad. I'll have to give the Gander line a shot!
3/22/16 @ 8:35 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
Berkley Vanish works good for me, but as previously stated manually closing the bail is fundamental. Use it as a leader pretty much on every rod, and pretty much stopped using tippits and just go flyline to vanish leader now.
3/12/16 @ 8:34 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13
Agree with bassaddic if using it for mainline I love Seagur.
3/12/16 @ 3:57 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07
Don't buy cheap crap. I've tried Berkley 100%, Vanish, Suffix, Viscious, all sucked. I spent a little more and tried Seagur Inviz-x and my problems disappeared. Unless you use braid, you will always get some line twist with spinning gear, but a good line will help. Always flip the bail by hand. Trust me. I bit the bullet once and bought Tatsu(?) Seagurs top line, very expensive, very much worth the price. Another thing I do to help with twist is this, I take a short piece of braid and tie it to my fence, use a tree or anything that won't move. I tie a ball bearing swivel to the braid. I then tie my line to the swivel, walk out as far as you can, tighten the drag as tigh as it will go and SLOWLY reel the line back on the spool under a lot of pressure. I will spray some line conditioner on the line as I reel it on. The swivel let the line spin the twist out. Do that 2-3 times and the line will be like new.
3/12/16 @ 1:28 PM
PJHotel
User since 8/19/13
I never use it as a main line but where I live (near door co.) with super clear water, I always have a 3-6' flouro leader on. I buy regular flouro to tie on as a leader when I'm using jigs & tubes but if I'm using anything more than that I use leader material(which is more abrasion resistant). I roll with 6 lb regular flouro, and I have 8 lb, 10 lb, 15 lb and 30 lb leader material depending on what I'm fishing for (I fish for smallies and Pike often). With my spinning set ups I use a uni-to-uni knot and for my bait casters I use an alberto knot. The only con I have is the fact that it sinks, but that only matters when you're using a heavier line(20# and up). Hope that helped.
2/11/16 @ 7:33 PM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05
I don't use spinning rods, but I have it on two of my baitcaster set ups. One is on my crankbait rod and the other is on my jig rod for pitching docks. I have tried numerous brands, but Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro Professional Grade has been the best in terms of castability and abrasion resistance.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE