SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Bass fishing with a Musky rod?

4/19/19 @ 2:18 PM
INITIAL POST
FishForLife11
User since 4/19/19

This might be a dumb question but I recently won a 7’6” heavy St. Croix mojo musky rod. I have never fished for musky and I don’t think I will anytime soon but would like to keep it just in case. My question is, would using this rod for bass fishing be a bad idea? If not what type of technique would be best? Top water frog, flipping, or cranking? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
7/7/19 @ 10:58 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
The rod has little to nothing to do with the size or species of fish targeted. It is all about what size lures you are trying to throw with it. If you are throwing lures within the range of lures listed on the rod, it will be fine. 
7/5/19 @ 12:54 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

I agree with the sell it and get bass rods sentiment.

Can you use the musky rod for bass?  Sure, of course.

Should you?   IMO thats a clear NO!

Musky and bass rods are built very differently...what makes a bass rod good and what make a musky rod good are two entirely different things...basically because these two fish aren't built the same way.

Could you flip or punch mats?...well you could, but you wouldnt have near the sensitivity a bass rod designed for this would have...so you would be far less effective doing so.

Could you frog?  Sure, but again, because the fish are built completely differently, you wont be as effective...sure, you can rip baits through the weeds like nothing, but a hook set on a bass with that rod frog fishing would  be just too much...you would rip baits out of their mouths, and even when you got the hook in, it could and would often open a big hole in that fish that would allow the fish to throw the frog much easier.

This too much power for a bass is the biggest reason not to use the musky rod.  And for those saying, i catch bass musky fishing all the time....sure, but those are randoms, and just because you can, doesn't mean you should or even that its remotely as effective.....cause a musky rod just won't be.

5/18/19 @ 2:07 AM
haulin bass
haulin bass
User since 4/8/07

I have two "musky" rods I use for bass. One is an excellent frog rod, the other I use for punching thick weed mats. Both very useful.

5/17/19 @ 7:35 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Sell it and get one maybe two rods appropriate  for bass fishing.

5/17/19 @ 10:23 AM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

I think that you will be fine with certain techniques.  It's just another tool in the tool box.  I always get a kick out of marketing like "walleye" specific rod, or "Musky" rod.  Many of the hot rods in the Great Lakes right now for coho are the rods that they market for walleye.  No matter they suggest, it's your rod and you get to choose how to fish it. 

I would put 40 or 50 pound braid on it and frog fish it, in the slop - rip 'em out of the pads and have fun. 

By the way, this time of year, I fish for musky with bass specific baits.  No one tells the musky that they shouldn't eat those because they say bass bait either.

Go forward and have fun, worst case it's not your favorite rod for a particular application, but I sure would try it.

5/16/19 @ 7:12 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

I'd say the only thing that might be good for is big swimbaits like huddlestons. I'd buy some musky baits instead and use it for it's intended purpose. Or sell it

4/20/19 @ 8:55 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

Look at the lure weight ratings on the rod. If you fish lures within the weights listed, use it for bass. Trying to throw smaller baits won’t work too well. Big swimbaits usually need a heavy rod. If you don’t think you’ll get much use out of it, you could always sell it, and buy something more useful. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE