SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

Jump Staring a Wheeler

1/13/17 @ 11:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I picked up a Polaris 570 last month.I only use a wheeler to plow my driveway, put in food plots, ice fish and haul deer. The thing will sit a lot. My old wheeler's battery would get a little run down from time to time and it wouldn't start. I could just pull on the starter rope and often it would crank up on the first pull. The new wheeler doesn't have a pull start option. I am a little concerned about being 2 miles out on Surgeon Bay or Bago and due to a weak battery, having starting problems. I am thinking of solutions in advance to have a back up plan.  Have any of you every jumped your wheeler off a vex or camera battery? I was thinking I could put my vex battery and camera battery in parallel and get enough juice to help the ATV battery. I would just have to bring some wires along. Anyone done it ? I could just buy a small jumper unit and bring it but I am looking for options. Thanks. Mrt.. 

Ps. I just noticed the spelling error in the heading. I can't fix it. Now I am THAT guy, sorry.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
2/15/17 @ 6:00 AM
kindakatchi
User since 11/18/03

Have a sportsman 500 EFI Had the ignition module go out was mentioned that it could have happened because of jumping from a vehicle???

2/13/17 @ 7:41 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Spend the money and get a good jump pack. You get what you pay for. I use a micro start xp 10 almost daily at work. Have started multiple cars on 1 charge. Have used it on a Ford diesel before too ( although I prolly shouldn't have. )  Been well worth the 175$  

2/11/17 @ 11:25 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
User since 4/1/12

i too had a polaris with no pull start and also worried about the battery out on bago or the bay or 10 miles back in the woods on a trail. bought a portable jump pack to take with just in case, only problem i had is i left the battery of the tender for a few days till it was almost dead and would not crank the wheeler hooked up the jump pack fully charged and it did not have enough juice to even get 4-5 cranks before the jump pack was dead too. i decided to ditch the polaris and buy something with a pull start, can am. no more worries of dead battery on the ice. the can am is a 2 up 400 and the polaris was a single up 500 ho and this 400 can am feels like an 800 compared to that pos polaris. if you do alot of riding/fishing alone i would have a pull start machine if you do not like walking

1/31/17 @ 1:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

It's amazing how compact those things have gotten.  I have a larger Stanley booster that has a compressor on it.  It's probably 10x the size the Simple Start.  I have carried it in the boat as insurance when on big water but this new starter will fit in my glove box.

1/31/17 @ 12:18 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.  That is a very good deal on that Stanley unit.  I've been stranded multiple times in my boat due to a battery going dead on me.  I'm going to pick up a couple of those, one for the truck and one for the boat.

Edit - as soon as my $200+ rebate check comes!  (new washer and dryer in December when they had 11% rebate)

1/30/17 @ 6:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

They are a nice little insurance policy.  When I found that deal at Menards I bought one for the boat.

1/30/17 @ 6:10 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Thanks. I will go that route.I like the idea that I don't have to hook it up to the battery. That could be tough if it was dark and cold. Had a situation this week-end that made me think of this. I was 3 miles out on Bago and we wanted to move. I hopped on the wheeler, turned the key and I could hear the systems power up but it didn't turn over and start. We were in a little bit of a pickle because I am still on crutches so walking out was not an option. There WERE a bunch of other atvs about 600 yards out so it was not a dire situation. I called the dealer and after a couple of minutes he asked , " Did you squeeze the handbrake as you turned the key?"  That was it. With the old wheeler, of  course that was not necessary. When you are backing off the trailer you automatically squeeze the brake without thinking.I bought the wheeler, broke it in and then had knee surgery, so I haven't used it in 6 weeks.I guess I forgot. You can bet that it won't happen again. Thanks for the info guys. Mrt.  

1/30/17 @ 4:22 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

It’s unfortunate that today’s power toys don’t have rip cords anymore. My first boat had a 1974 85 hp Mercury that had a cord under the cover that you could use to start it if you were in a pinch. It was a bear to pull but it got me out of more than one jam.

Possible solution to your concerns of a dead battery:

Stanley Simple Start

I hunt and fish in some fairly remote spots.  I carry one in my truck at all times.

1/20/17 @ 7:56 PM
Sashimi Slammer
User since 3/17/05

Just had to rescue the brother off Bago Wednesday night when his wheeler wouldn't start cause of a dead battery. He had a pull rope but with EFI it needs some juice. Battery pack got it going in short order.

1/20/17 @ 1:51 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Bounce Fabric Softener sheets in original scent work............

1/19/17 @ 9:02 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Remove battery & install moth balls!  You ever smell those things?...

1/19/17 @ 5:40 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I had some mice make nests in the old one. I will need to figure something out for those critters. Thanks for the heads up, forgot about those. Mrt. 

1/17/17 @ 11:03 AM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

If it is stored in a shed all summer I would pull the battery and also be worried about mice.

1/16/17 @ 3:30 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Thanks Hook. Problem I have is , no juice to the shed it is stored in all summer. I should probably pull the battery in the summer. Mrt.

1/14/17 @ 4:17 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

My ATV get most use during the icefish season,not so much in the summer. For that reason,I use a battery tender. Has worked out very well.

comes with a quick release plug,very easy to use.

Jump Staring a Wheeler photo by fishhook
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE