SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

Best all around ATV??

3/17/15 @ 7:29 PM
INITIAL POST
Buckuuu
User since 3/20/12
I'm gettin on the market for a used 4#4 atv. Not lookin for anything fancy. Just for some deer huntin and ice fishin. Maybe 400-650. Just lookin for any advice on wat to look for in a used one. Been lookin at Polaris Soortsman. Any thoughts? Thnx in advance
Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts
4/25/19 @ 2:57 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

My neighbor up north has 4 atv's everything but hondas. Every spring at least 2 will not start or run well. Comes over every year wondering what I do to keep my hondas running. Nothing different, except put in seafoam once in a while. Nothing against any other brand, but Honda's are all I have ever owned, with good reason. My machines have never let me down. Most recent one is fuel injected, and absolutely love it as I don't need to hold the choke at all.

4/22/19 @ 7:04 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

I have an Alterra 500.   Made by Textron.   Around the farm it’s not bad and works for me.

4/22/19 @ 6:40 PM
wicked crappie
User since 7/23/15

No one running an Arctic Cat.

7/22/16 @ 10:56 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Esox,  it makes you laugh about people owning and getting rid of all these ATV's huh?  Well let me put it to you this way,  if I had a 60 mile rid through the woods and there was nothing around,  i wouldn't trust Polaris.  I've owned em,  they are not reliable.  period.  I'll take my honda and bury it in a creek bottom and I know it will work.  I'm not scared driving a Honda or Yammy.   Keep it local I understand,  but Polaris needs to step it up to get my business.  

I beat on my equipment,  if I can own a Wheeler and it doesn't break down,  you better get what I got cause I ride em,  I don't baby em.  I understand many have machines that they ride out on a lake 5 times a year for the last 10 years...that's not even a challenge for a machine.  Any machine will do that,  but it you want to haul stuff,  pull stuff out,  go through a fresh slashing,  pull hay wagons,  buy something non Polaris or you'll be let down when you need it the most.

7/17/16 @ 10:09 AM
whitetub
User since 4/23/12

Suzuki owns Kawasaki. merged back in 2001-2003. somewhere in there. 

i own a can-am now. but I've owned grizzlies and loved them besides it a single piston engine. if it was a V-twin i would still own a grizzly.  i do a lot of snow plowing with my quad and felt i needed a twin to take some of the stress off the engine.

5/12/16 @ 7:48 AM
velocity
User since 5/12/16

I can't really speak about the other brands, but I had a Yamaha 700 Grizzly and absolutely loved it. Always started, ran fantastic, fast and could pull whatever I threw at it. I have always been a Yammi guy. I have had many Yamaha snowmobiles as well. I only sold the 4 wheeler to move to a side by side.

velocity

4/2/16 @ 9:59 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
User since 2/21/06
I have a 05 Polars sportsmen and love it. I've even rolled twice.still runs. Makes me laugh when I hear people saying they owned all theses wheelers. Makes me wonder why they got rid of them. Polaris is made in the U.S. also. I work in a machine shop and see stuff like this come through. That's why it's important to support these companies.
4/1/16 @ 9:01 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I have said this before. But one more time. I have had Suzuki, Honda, Polaris, and Can Am. I really liked my 2007 Suzuki 400 Eiger, next my Honda (the only issue was it wasn't fuel injection ), next my current machine, Can Am. Never will buy a Kawasaki, and only if I get a great deal, would I buy a Polaris. Big Mac
4/1/16 @ 9:28 AM
Jax
User since 1/5/06
Ive had a bunch, liked the Yamahas, Kawasaki, but went to Suzuki and love it. Not a problem so far. Yes look at a good dealer and it is half the battle.
3/14/16 @ 10:40 AM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Really like my grizzly 700 so far used it all ice season no issues yet...love the power steering
3/10/16 @ 3:36 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
In no particular order Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, suzuki (cam am but you won't get them cheap)....polaris dead last, they are cheap crap, most issues, most starting issues, most motor issues. they are 1000-2000 less for a reason. I been there done that. I currently own a Kawasaki Prairie 2004, Yamaha Bruin 350 2004, Honda Foreman 500 2001 & 06. I had 2 polaris in the last 15 years....HAD, they are not work horses, they are not dependable. Look at any Farmer, Rancher or anyone that depends on a ATV for daily work. you won't find any or many with Polaris. I should have learned my lesson on Polaris 20 years ago when my dad's buddy trailed a Polaris Sportsman 6 hours to the WI northwoods for gun season. SOB didn't start and it had like 80 miles on it. we even put it in a heated garage thinking it was a moisture issue. After 3 lessons, i've learned. If I had to pick my favorite work horse machine for towing stuff, Honda all the way with the solid suspension. the others are as dependable but if you plan on pulling wagons, trailers, hay etc etc....HONDA is the way to go. The Kawasaki's are machines that are overlooked. I saw a dandy on Craig's list a few months ago, like a 450, 6 years old, basically brand new for like 3,500. I have a ATV addiction...I was very close to buying that sucker
3/8/16 @ 10:54 AM
EUPYOOPERJIG
EUPYOOPERJIG
User since 2/29/16
Honda Rubicon 500 4x4. Bulletproof.
9/18/15 @ 2:47 AM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
Thing starts up no matter what the weather!
9/18/15 @ 2:43 AM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
My reliable machine cant wait till ice!!!!!!
9/18/15 @ 2:36 AM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
I love my 2010 Polaris sportsman 550. I do an oil change every year. Never had a problem. Use it on trails, deer hunting, pulling my permanent shack out on the ice and for ice fishing all winter. I love it. I had a 2003 Honda rancher before my Polaris. I would never do the electric shifting again. I had nothing but problems with the shifting on that machine. I'll be up on the chequamegan forest trails the weekend of oct 18th!! Can't wait!!! Best trails in the state in my opinion!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 49 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE