MORE
ATVs

ATV for Ice Fishing - Large Fisherman

1/29/19 @ 1:56 PM
INITIAL POST
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Twenty-three more months until retirement.

I have a home in northern Wisconsin that will soon be my year-round residence. I live about one-quarter mile from a lake and maybe one-half mile from where I intend to ice fish. I don't intend to have an ice shanty.

I'm interested in buying an ATV (old or new) for ice fishing. For many, many years I used to walk (pulling a toboggan) but that was 30 years ago and I'm not a young man anymore. Besides, I think I would fish more often if ice fishing wasn't such an ordeal.

I've never operated an ATV (or a snowmobile, for that matter) in my life. I have numerous cars and trucks and can drive a manual transmission no problem so I don't think I'm a total dunce with a motor vehicle. I simply have no idea what kind of ATV to get.

I'm a somewhat LARGE fellow (6'3", 300#) so I'm thinking I need a somewhat POWERFUL ATV. Is this a reasonable assumption? I'm thinking a 4x4 (with rear chains, from what I read) would be preferred for ice fishing.

I've seen numerous "side-by-sides" and that is NOT what I would prefer, since I probably wouldn't fit on one side and have no projected passenger for the other side (maybe a dog). Are there many decent used conventional 4x4 ATVs around these days, replaced by side-by-sides?

Any advice appreciated.

RR

Displaying 31 to 45 of 66 posts
2/5/19 @ 4:07 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Plenty of snow to shove by hand around doorways, garageways, sidewalks and patio/decks.  You sir need a machine with a snow blade to make life a whole lot fun'r in the winter.

Those tracked atvs look pretty sweet. 

Another factor.....getting on/off Atv in the winter is much different than the warm months. Clunky boots, heavy coats and bibs. It takes some effort to saddle up some days in the winter. That's my happy thought with the side by side....slide right in there ; )

Good luck on your retirement choice!

2/5/19 @ 3:58 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Now I'm even more confused than I was when I started this thread. But there again the one fellow brought up the spectre of "snow-plowing".

For several weeks I've had trouble sleeping up at the cabin. I thought it was my bed. Then when we had the polar vortex thing I yanked my left elbow out of the socket (figuratively speaking) shoveling snow down-state. Man that sucker hurt.

So last weekend I took a break from shoveling and plowing with my undersize snow thrower. I was able to ram my truck into the driveway and I just stayed home all weekend Saturday, Sunday, Monday (vacation day) drank beer, cooked food and watched football. And I slept like a baby.

I think shoveling snow just might be the death of me (literally). I have a fairly large wye-shaped driveway (asphalt) and I do like to shovel snow just for fresh air and exercise. But I don't know if I can do marathon snow shoveling like I did in my younger days.

An ATV or a SxS with a plow makes a lot of sense. I could put a plow on my Jeep or pickup I suppose, but the ATV option gives me that "dual purpose" that I can't get with a snowmobile. And lets be honest here, if I posted up about buying another rifle, even though I have a half dozen rifles already, it's because I want to buy something, not because it particularly makes the most sense.

When (and if) I buy something I'll be sure to post up a picture (if I can figure out how). And I'm going to keep looking at the used stuff (ATVs and sleds) on the off-chance I can locate a treasure.

No hurry, really.

RR

2/5/19 @ 3:41 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Or.... get a track kit for your ATV. A guy had them this weekend, amazing how he cruised around effortlessly while the rest got tossed around and were throwing slush everywhere.

Guy with a smaller Honda ATV was a flat out no go, not enough clearance to get above the snow and slush.

2/5/19 @ 3:08 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

I would also keep a snowmobile in deep thoughts. Perfect solution for when slush or deep snow becomes a limiting factor for wintertime Atv use. 

Plenty of $1000 or less sleds out there with plenty of life to run around the county. Reverse is worth all the money in the world too. Pretty easy basic maintenance. I wouldn't go without one if i was nestled in the north woods in the winter.

Longtime Atv owner here. If i was looking for a retirement toy, all my Atv's would be gone and replaced with side by side w/ 6ft plow.

First time you bury your new atv up to its axles in slush. You may have a new thought about ice fishing : )

2/5/19 @ 1:23 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Don't want no stinkin' SxS.

Why would I want or need a SxS with no projected passenger?

Though I suppose, ultimately, some northwoods dolly I haven't even met yet is gonna want to molest me.

No.....no.....I'm sold on a nice big (new) ATV as a retirement gift to myself.

RR

2/5/19 @ 11:37 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Hey if it does the job,  that's perfect for you.  i'd take one over any atv.

2/5/19 @ 10:44 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

LB you can get a Honda Pioneer 500 under for under 10.I just bought a left over 2018 for under 9 grand way under.Old mans SXS but thats ok with me I am old.

2/5/19 @ 7:58 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

First off,  congrats on your soon to be retirement.  I have about 240 more months :)

If I had the room,  I'd buy a side by side.  Top end ATV's are 8-9K,  you can get a Yamaha Viking for 12.  I think it's a no brainer and I don't know how you can't fit in a side by side....if you can't fit,  you're way over 300 lbs!

you drive your vehicle all the time with no passenger,  so what's the difference?  My advise to anyone, nothing beats a UTV if you have the money and the space to store it.  Otherwise I'd get a 400-500 in a ATV and just pay pay the 6k ish.  I have a 400 and I ride two 250 lbs guys on it all the time through the woods and dragging out 2 deer with two guys...they will handle a 300lb dude w o a doubt in my mind.

And with chains on my atv,  there is not much you can't go through on the ice unless it's 3-4 foot drifts and I still go.  it's a lot easier to get a out a stuck atv than a truck.

Personally,  if it's ONLY for ice fishing and used for nothing else,  i'd buy a sled hands down.  Not many people only use a ATV for the ice,  so i'm sure you'll find other uses.

2/4/19 @ 11:22 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I bought a gently used 2 year old Grizzly 700 back in 2010 off of Clist. Have not had one problem with it. I saved about 3 grand over buying new and it came with a winch and after market tires and rims. I would never be without after market tires again. They make a world of difference, especially in deeper snow. But, when you get stuck, you are stuck. I'm not a small man either and this machine has been more than enough for me.

I've had Hondas in the past and they make a fine product. Polaris tend to make a lower budget product but plenty of those in use as well. CanAm is a great product but tend run a little higher in cost. As was mentioned, a good dealer near by in your brand can be a plus.

2/2/19 @ 4:08 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

RR why not a SXS that little honda 500 is a nice machine.It has more room than you think.

2/1/19 @ 9:24 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Eyelooking - If you don't go and kick (you know, the bucket - dead), I won't be buying any of your stuff. LOL.

Well, I'm glad you guys can visualize what I'm trying to accomplish here. A nice (preferably new) ATV that I can load all my ice fishing gear on and putter out onto the lake with and catch me some dinner. Just for the simple JOY of it.

And I guess I don't NEED no stinkin' 1000cc machine to accomplish this.

Thanks for all the feedback.

RR

1/31/19 @ 7:49 PM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

RainBowrunner...I am glad that my wife does not know you. LOL

1/31/19 @ 6:54 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Rainbow Runner, I am your size or a bit bigger. I have an Outlander 400. It is a 2004 model year and a Bombardier product. It has 4x4 and with chains on the rear tires goes through plenty. It also has a low range for power when needed, it isn’t a speed demon but gets me around just fine. I have a carrier rack mounted on the back that holds my one man Otter sled which also holds all my gear, auger bunge straps the the front carrier. Makes me quite mobile and self contained. Deep snow or slush is a no go. 

1/31/19 @ 4:06 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

I can't tell you how many times I've been offered used boats and trucks and guns that were purchased as a retirement gift for somebody who then never used them. I bought a beautiful Browning Safari Grade BAR 30.06 new-in-box (never fired) from a coworker lady (husband kicked) and was offered a perfect mint 1980s Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman from another lady (husband also kicked). But I've never been offered a new-in-box ATV.

I'm one of those fellas that wants to beat the crap out of something myself. And if my beautiful mint 33 year old CJ7 is any indication, somebody is going to be buying a real, real nice ATV from my estate sale.

RR

1/31/19 @ 3:28 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree with your post about used ATV, seems most ATV people don't sell "used" ATV's to upgrade as much, they are content using them for a longer period of time.

That's just the opposite of the snowmobile guys, that seems to be a challenge as to who has the newest, biggest, and fastest and they are constantly "upgrading".

I have a coworker that just recently saved money and "stole" a used ATV off Craigslist. Started and ran just fine and he drove it around the guys yard (no snow or rough terrain) just fine. When he actually started using it the 4x4 wasn't engaging, headlights were glitchy, and the list goes on. $1,200.00 later he has it in for the 3rd time chasing issues. Called the guy that sold it and he said "sold as is". 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 66 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE