SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

2 x 4 vs 4 x 4 for pulling your sled/shanty

8/21/16 @ 6:52 PM
INITIAL POST
konney
User since 7/6/16

Looking for thoughts on pulling your sled/shanty with a 2 x 4 ATV. Will it work or do you need a 4 x 4. I have a 250 2 x 4 Kawasaki and I am just not sure if it will be enough. If you think that I stand half a chance, do I need chains? If I need a 4 x 4 how much power do I need?

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
1/17/17 @ 4:34 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I am a new owner of a 400 honda rancher that can go from 2x4 to 4x4 at a touch of a switch.  First....get chains for the rear.  Amazing difference in snow.  I don't switch to 4x4 until snow over 6 inches.  You do turn better in loose snow and slush with 4x4.  Tows small portable Shack easily.  Don't even know it's there.

2x4 with chains should be fine until snow gets over 6 inches or too much slush.

1/11/17 @ 11:30 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I own a 2007 Honda Rancher ES 2x4, 420cc. 

I purchased it from a family member in 2008 for $2,300. It was the remaining balance of what was owed on their loan. It's primary duty is my bow hunting transportation. On dry land 4WD shines climbing slick hills and thru deeper mud/water and snow over 8 inches. Now I won't tell you it's not good for ice fishing but it's not ideal. 

1~  To reiterate what everyone else has told you snow and slush are it's kryptonite. Be smart and you'll be fine but if you think pulling a flip over by foot is annoying wait until you do it after you've put your machine back on the trailer because it's more of a hassel than it is help.

2~  This is the one that annoys me the most, others may have a different opinion or experience. 2WD quads turn like crap on bare ice or fluffy snow that is 2-3 inches or less. Chains are helpful in deeper snow but I prefer ITP Mud Lite tires with Kold Kutters, which are also better for glare ice than chains.

In conclusion my advice would be to just take it out and gather your own opinion on it. However, be aware it's NOT ideal ALL the time but they can be made to work. Don't make your maiden voyage 2 miles from your launch site.

10/22/16 @ 9:44 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01

I'd go 4x4,better have than have not in deeper snow or slush pockets. Chains on back tires are a real plus.

10/18/16 @ 10:28 PM
toothycritter2
User since 12/28/15
Just my .02 but look for a used 6X6 Polaris love mine dump box for yard work wood hauling 6 wheel drive for plowing box works good to haul all ice fishing gear still have room on the front rack and the seat to haul 3 people had mine on 10" sloppy snow with slush in spots 3 people and 2 shacks in tow all gear in the box and never had a problem. I always carry a 4X4 block just in case I do get stuck.  hook the winch to the 4X4 drill a hole out 50' or so drop the board in the hole hooking it under the ice and use the winch to pull yourself free seen this done many times Just have not had to do it yet

10/14/16 @ 9:16 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

I just sold my 4x4 fourtrax. Was a great machine. Just needed more room. The best part about them is they are pretty bullet proof. Also parts are readily available and inexpensive. 

10/14/16 @ 4:40 AM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01

Gone, what do you have mounted on the back of your rack for the extension box?  Looks nice

9/6/16 @ 11:47 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

what kind of shack?  a sturgeon shack or a frabil type flip over? 

Your sled should be fine for most early ice conditions until you start to get bigger snow falls and slush.  Too much snow and slush will even slow down the biggest of ATV's on the market.  

You could pull a sturgeon shack with no issues with chains and no snow,  even a couple inches of snow your 2 wheel would work.  

I'd pick up a set of chains,  that's for sure and 95% of the time time your machine will get you where you need to be assuming you are talking a small portable shack.

I've seen winnebago and poygan get pretty nasty though...that chain i personally would not feel great crossing cracks and such with a machine that won't have the power to help if I need to move quickly.

I have a 350 Yammy bruin 4x4,  I have no issues whatsoever anywhere i've taking it.  I also haven't been stupid enough to take it anywhere with a lot of snow or snow/slush mix.

9/2/16 @ 12:24 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

If the lakes that you fish commonly develope slush pockets, 2 wheel drive will be a big problem. If you fish down in the south central Wi. area you may be ok with chains.Mrt.

8/31/16 @ 10:20 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

You could do it some of the time, but not all the time. Make suse you have chains and a shovel if you go with a 2x4

8/24/16 @ 2:40 PM
Stratosboats
User since 4/8/05

I have a 2x4 Polaris 250 and can go through a lot more snow than I was told and expected pulling my flip over.  Rear chains are a must have though.  It's not always the fastest but when you get tire spin the chains will eventually hook up and you'll move.

8/22/16 @ 10:52 AM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

4x4

8/22/16 @ 8:36 AM
Gone 4 Now
User since 4/26/08

4X4 , Chains on rear or both , 500cc

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE