LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Traditional Archery Shops in SW Wisconsin/South Eastern Mn?

12/13/16 @ 9:39 AM
INITIAL POST
WalleyePatrol2
WalleyePatrol2
User since 2/17/09

I am looking to possibly start shooting a recurve bow.  I have shot a compound since I was 12, and I am looking for something different.  I want to challenge myself more and take a little turn away from the compound world.  Anyone have advice for a shop to get set-up at?   I don't want to spend money on a custom bow, just something to start with and try and build my shooting ability and form........thanks for the help.

WP2

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
3/23/17 @ 5:37 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Just an observation, go to rummages and auctions. I see a lot of expensive recurves go for peanuts. I really should start selling on E-Bay instead of letting them go so cheap,

3/20/17 @ 9:05 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Well I shoot both as well and not once did I ever consider it to be a vert xbow.  It WAS truly your intention,  but as CDS said,  most will move on.

I shoot traditional as well,  some day i'll hunt with traditional equipment when I feel i can do the animal right.  Meaning I feel 100% confident before I walk in the woods.  I also truly believe that you do one or the other,  not both half- azzed.  Thus the reason I just shoot for fun throughout the summer.

I have a TON of respect for the traditional shooter...most are ambassadors of the whole game.  However some do talk down to everyone else that doesn't do it "their way".  Come Nov 20th they run out into the woods during rifle season and kill one with a bullet.  Think about that one for a moment.  If you think using a long bow is the only way to take an animal...but then run out with a high powered rifle...some people just don't make much sense.

3/16/17 @ 1:01 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Well "insult" was not the intent of my earlier post, so if that was the preception again I apologize. I don't think I'm superior in any way. I thought my response was an attempt to explain that but apparently I'm not communicating it very well. I'm a compound shooter "vertical crossbow" who owns a recurve. Hope that clears it up.

I don't consider myself a "trad" guy. I've shot with a compound for about 20 years and continue to hunt and shoot with one to this day. It just so happens I enjoy some target practice with traditional equipment but I'm not a hardcore traditionalist. I do know what you are referring to, they will scoff at anyone who doesn't conform to their beliefs of "real archery" and that is what I was getting at, it came off wrong. I was in the same boat as the OP about 3 years ago so I figured I'd input some experience. And now that I've made poo poo all over his post, let's get back to his original question.

3/16/17 @ 9:50 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

You would be correct. I do respect all archers and forms of the sport. I also own and shoot both compound and stick bows. Can you relate to both sides of the archery world?

I spend a large chunk of the year shooting my recurve and typically transition to the compound late summer to get used to the difference of speed and point of impact of my compound (barebow or instinctive* hint hint) for bow season.

cds I see you're in SE WI and based on you location I'm going to assume your either affiliated with Waukesha Bowmen or West Allis.The LBL season is right around the corner and I invite you to send me a PM, I will gladly shoot with you in either fashion and maybe you will even find out I'm not such a bad person. I'll even buy the first beer or coke. I'm no expert in any classifiaction. I do however shoot regularly year round, lots of arrows every year.

I apologize if I've hurt any feelings, I'll keep my insults at bay from now on.

3/16/17 @ 9:41 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Yeah you know, a pun... vertical crossbow. Don't take it too serious, just having fun.

Archery comes in many flavors, IMO you won't truly understand the value of modern bows until you try to become sufficient with traditional equipment. I know serious 3D and open class tournament shooting isn't easy but lets not act like modern compounds and stick bows are comparable.

If you've ever put any time in to traditional archery or even NFAA barebow class you understand. I'm not going to say modern compounds are literally the same as crossbows but they are very easy to shoot well and in the right hands (Cameron Hanes) are accurate to distances of 130+ yards.

Sooo yeah vertical crossbow. BTW I respect all forms of archery.

3/16/17 @ 9:23 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

vertical crossbow. Oh boy.....

3/15/17 @ 5:12 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

I went the same route as suggested below, last year.  Samik Sage from 3 Rivers.  Samick may be selling under a different name now. 

3 Rivers is a nice store because they have just about anything you could ever want.  My only beef with them is that their shipping is out of control.  Lancaster Archery and Footed Shaft also have very nice selections and better shipping costs.  Check out Big Jim's for blemished Gold Tip traditional arrows. 

3/15/17 @ 11:09 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I know this is way late to the party but if you haven't purchased anything yet I'd look at the Samick Sage. Yes, they're made in Korea but they know a thing or two about flinging arrows and they make some nice bows. Try Three Rivers Archery (online retailer) they're very knowledgeable and customer support is outstanding.

They're also very reasonably priced and are take down bows so you can start with lighter limbs and purchase heavier limbs as you build form and muscle. My suggestion is to start at 30# draw weight, I don't care if you pull 150# compound it's not the same.

Remember to have fun because it's a real learning curve if you're coming from a vertical crossbow. Oh yeah, one more thing welcome to actual archery!

P.S. Make sure you buy a stringer to string and unstring the bow. Do not use the step through method. I would also suggest buying an endless loop string. Flemish strings have the traditional look to them and are "correct"  but endless loop strings are, for lack of a better description, more user friendly when it comes to adjusting brace height.

12/13/16 @ 10:20 AM
tunes
PRO MEMBER User since 5/25/08

"The Footed Shaft" in Rochester MN.

http://www.footedshaftllc.com/

Good folks

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE