SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Frangible Ammo

12/6/15 @ 6:28 PM
INITIAL POST
greggd177
User since 10/25/15
Does anyone have any experience with, or reports of, the effectiveness of frangible bullet ammo in real-world hunting? I'm considering loading some for predator hunting in a semi-congested area to reduce the possibility of down range collateral damage. Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/10/16 @ 12:13 AM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
Assuming that you have decided to do your shooting in an area not full of possible collateral damage ... Frangible ammunition is good because of the increased eventual mortality. When that lead hits whatever varmint you're hunting imagine it spalling, and ricocheting once it hits a shoulder blade, or rib. Now imagine yourself possibly tracking that varmint for miles if it's a tough SOB, and doesn't want to die in your presence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoqvz_8YrA
12/7/15 @ 10:47 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
I agree that buckshot and a safe back stop are your best bet in this situation. I have been reducing the deer herd at a local airport inside city limits and I use fragile bullets and precise bullet placement to kill deer DRT. 19 one shot kills with 17 deer dropping in there tracks show the lethality of this load when put in the right spot. The fragile bullets rarely exit and reduce the chance of ricochet, buy most important is a safe backstop........
12/7/15 @ 8:15 AM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07
Agreed. Use a shotgun if you are that worried about range. Hell, use a crossbow!
12/7/15 @ 12:09 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
I'm gonna go on a limb here and say if " your worried about down range collateral damage " I would not hunt there. Discharge any weapon there. I don't care if some lady's pug is getting eatin by a coyote. Not worth the risk. Just think of a 5 year old playing on the other end of that collateral damage. You want that on your conscious? Not me..
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE