SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Black Squirrel

8/31/15 @ 2:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Bwana61
User since 8/10/09
Ive wanted to shoot a black Squirrel for a mount for quite some time. Im gonna be in in Vilas county the 2nd week of September Musky fishing. Does anyone know of any public ground where i would have a reasonable chance of harvesting one? Pm if you want. Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
6/8/16 @ 6:43 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Public land close to the city will be your best bet. As mentioned they thrive in the city with few predators. That and the "black" gene mutation is more easily passed between individuals in confined areas like backyards.

I only shot one on public land and I skinned it to mount and never did. Even more rare than the black squirrel is the blonde and the albino. No joke you can google that if you like.

In parts of central Wisco the black/grey ratio is almost 50/50....

6/7/16 @ 2:27 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I see them all the time around our cabin.  Couple weeks ago while I was on the dock fishing seen a cinnamon one with an all blonde tail.  

6/7/16 @ 11:30 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Easy, I'd shoot both and have someone in my group tag the spiker.  That response should roll some heads lol.

I see a lot of black squirrels in Price Cty.  I have 3 right by my cabin, pretty common around there. 

6/6/16 @ 6:15 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
User since 8/11/10

ditto, I know which 1 I would shoot ;) 

we have many gray,black and reds at our Portage land.

6/6/16 @ 1:48 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10

denesox, If you had a common spike in front of you and a 200" super rarity which would you shoot?

6/6/16 @ 8:03 AM
'Eye Catcher
User since 6/15/01

I live in South West Michigan and in the 15 years I've been here I haven't seen a Gray squirrel.  All we have are Blacks and Fox Squirrels.  You want to get a black, come on over here and I'll get you a limit of them. 

12/19/15 @ 3:56 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
This thread just may show up in the segment of Tosh.0 called "is it racist"? Dull I will never understand why some people want to shoot something BECAUSE if its rarity....sounds very backwards to me and a very antiquated reasoning, even if its only a squirrel. I've got several in my neighborhood, I often see people pulling over and stopping when they see them....they do look much cooler than the typical grey ones.
12/16/15 @ 6:20 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Crystal Lake, its probably the opposite. Based upon what Ive read the gene for black is the dominat gene while the gene for gray is recessive. The reason gray squirrels in the forest outnumber the black is due to the camoflage effect of the gray color. This offers an advantage against predators. The reason you see black squirrels in parks and cities is because the black color offers less disadvantage due to lack of preadators and hunters. I doubt there is more inbreeding among black squirrels than there is for gray. Recessive genes gain a probable advantage when there is inbreeding.
12/13/15 @ 11:22 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10
What causes squirrels to turn black is because of excessive inbreeding. Most of them are found in the city
10/19/15 @ 3:44 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
There are a lot more in the Westfield area then other locations for sure. That's where I've done most of my squirrel hunting. I have seen a lot in the Ludington/Manistee,Michigan area as well.
10/19/15 @ 1:58 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
They are common in the Westfield area. I never saw one around Fond du Lac in all of my life. When I bought land in the Westfield/Montello area I saw dozens. Go figure. Mrt
9/7/15 @ 6:59 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
There is one in my back yard right now in Appleton. Seriously though, I see them all the time in east central WI. Find gray squirrels and you will find the black ones.
9/2/15 @ 5:10 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I used to see alot around Wisconsin Rapids area. I happen to see one today south of Hatfield.
9/2/15 @ 9:46 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
To funny! But seriously you could just take a quick walk through all the public land you want and you should eventually come across one i would think.
9/1/15 @ 6:44 PM
Bobber86
User since 1/17/06
"black Squirrel Lives Matter" ________________________________________ BAHAHAHAHA! Best Post I have ever seen on here.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE