MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Throw & Grow

4/14/15 @ 12:01 PM
INITIAL POST
FishHunt47
FishHunt47
User since 6/10/14
Hey y'all so I'm new to this food plot thing. I've been doing my research and investigations to understand where to start and how to do it. So I picked up 2 bags of Throw & Grow. I'm planting this weekend and I just am planning to follow the directions. I plan on fertilizing late May/early June. Thoughts on Throw & Grow? Experiences? Tips? I will be planting a little smaller than 1/4 acre. I'll put a camera on an edge and put maybe a rack rock in front of it or maybe some mineral. Thanks in advance! Any feedback would be awesome!
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
4/16/15 @ 10:02 AM
FishHunt47
FishHunt47
User since 6/10/14
Thanks for the feedback!
4/14/15 @ 4:20 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
My recommendation would be to hold off on planting. Most throw and grow mixes are dominated by quick growing annuals like rape, rye, oats, etc. There are a couple issues with planting now. First, you likely have not prepped this area for planting. If you just toss it on the soil, any existing vegetation will be coming up soon and competing with it. Also, unless you have real heavy duty equipment, prepping the ground properly will be a chore as it likely has an intact root system. Second, there will be a ton of other food choices greening up soon and providing for the deer, so there won't be as much of a need. My recommendations, you can use this weekend to prep the area. Pick rocks, remove brush, cut/rake any dead vegetation. In mid-late May, spray with glyphosate(roundup). In late June, spray with glyphosate again. In mid-late July, work the soil, fertilize, and seed. You'll have better results doing it this way and likely a green crop in the fall when other vegetation dies off and provide a food source for the deer when others are disappearing.
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE