LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

What is your favorite decoy line and anchor?

7/28/14 @ 9:38 PM
INITIAL POST
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11
I'm switching to something different this year. Last few years I used decoy string, with elastic cord tied to lead keel hooks. Keeps things organized but takes for ever to throw out deeks. I was going to switch to texas rigs. I think that steel cable wrapped in plastic looks to be the ticket. Looks like it doesn't tangle as easy. Is there a benefit to having the sinker able to slide vs being stationary at end of line? I will be making all of the weights. I will have to make my own mold out of wood. Unless someone is looking to sell a 6oz sinker mold. Thoughts?? Cool
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/3/14 @ 3:54 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
I use slotted for 2dz of my homemade burlaps also use slotted for 1dz of my Avery mag blacks and 2dz of my Avery mallards just to keep them nice. All my divers and other mallards are either gang rigged non wrapped and tossed in a bag or wrapped with tangle free and keel grabbers. I use tangle free on my wrapped decoys for the simple fact that we can use a decoy retriever grab like 8 at a time and whip in the boat then wrap later with out having to worry about the pile tangling up. Only have 1 dz Avery bills all the rest are g and h or herter armor decoys so they can take the abuse of gang rig clips beating against them without chipping. Avery life size bills will also hold up but for whatever reason my buddies mag Avery bills, cans, or redheads chip like crazy in a bag with gang clips beating on them.
8/1/14 @ 7:20 PM
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09
I'm with 870 on this. I also use the Rigem Right decoy line and weights. Wraps up clean, anchors lock on the keels, it's all good. As far as decoys getting a few scratches from a mesh bag or stacking them in the boat, no worries! They are decoys, made to work and get a little dirty or scratched up from being used. Besides, if a duck or goose gets close enough to see a scratch and it might get scared, best be pulling the trigger! LOL Big Smile
8/1/14 @ 11:49 AM
870man
User since 2/13/02
I've done every line in the book. Wrap around anchors and nylon line to home made anchors and shoe string. Got with the program and updated ti Rigem Rights. They are tangle free and just throw them in the bag..Great when its windy out and just pick them up and throw them in the boat. Sort later.....Lovem! Tounge Out
8/1/14 @ 7:41 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
For the guys who don't wrap and bag? How do your decoys look? I won't even use a mesh bag. Slotted for everything. I hate repainting decoys.
8/1/14 @ 2:32 AM
J.R.8
User since 4/6/13
Have not tried texas rigged. Switched over to tangle free line and weights a couple of years ago have not looked back. No winding up decoys just throw them in your bag or boat and your ready to go. Make sure you get the clear line.
7/31/14 @ 6:25 PM
DecoysRUSM
User since 9/15/12
I been using tangle free line and anchors for years. Never rap up my dekes, just pile them up in front of boat. When I need to use them they never tangle. Just grab them and put them out.
7/29/14 @ 1:08 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
Same experience as musky. What use is an extension cord reel with 100 foot lengths of para cord with caribener clips on the ends so i can adjust the lengths of my long lines for the depth of water I'm in. You can also put wieghts on the gang rig clips which would allow you to make different patterns with only 1 main line like a w or j or zig zag pattern to fill in a spread. Also the actual tangle free brand line is all I use on the droppers now not the black nock off stuff. Thicker para cord for main line so it is easy to untangle from prop and if u hit a dropper the tangle free stuff cuts so you won't be stranded
7/29/14 @ 11:28 AM
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11
I hunt out of a boat mostly on the bay. Sometimes I have out 10 doz. Decoys it takes for ever to wind them all up on the keels. Im looking to speed it up a bit.
7/29/14 @ 4:45 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
1. A fixed weight allows the decoy to slide and keeps your hands dry. True Texas rig. 2. Texas rigs become a pain when water gets deeper. 3. I thought I would love Texas rigs for walk in spots. Nope, loud and beat up your decoys. 4. If you are hunting marshes and potholes, 6 oz in overkill. I use keel grabbers or long lines on everything but my teal.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE