SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

braid vs. mono

7/6/15 @ 8:54 PM
INITIAL POST
greg2507
User since 1/13/13
Just curious what kind of line do you use for vertical jigging walleye? I usually use mono because thats what I usually spool my reels with. I have been reading a lot of you guys are using braid with a fluro leader. What advantage does using braid versus mono? Is it just no stretch in the braid so therefore feel the hits better? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
Displaying 16 to 24 of 24 posts
11/5/15 @ 12:57 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
I will no longer buy any Fireline because over time it flattens out and gets fuzzy causing increased water resistance. My used flattened Fireline was transfered to my bluegill reels and over time it weakened and becomes almost rotten. I’ve used the same 40# Ripcord braid on my dipsy rods for >8yrs and still fine. Some years ago I changed to Suffix 832 for walleye using 10#. The name 832 comes from 8 strands of line with 32 wraps per inch. 7 of the strands are Dyneema and one Gore. Dyneema is what you typically find in most braids. The Gore is added for a number of reasons including abrasion resistance, water repelling and doesn’t ice up as quickly. I’ve also used Power Pro’s new Slick 8 which is a similar product and both have excellent casting distance as compared to Fireline that has been used awhile. I don’t use mono for any type of walleye or pan fish fishing because braid has better sensitivity, durability, lack of memory, hook set and in the long run less expensive. Unless fishing in deep water that is off color I always use a fluorocarbon leader, mostly Berkeley 100% Fluorocarbon. For walleye jigging I used 8# but beefed up to 12#. I figured if they can’t see it then why not use stronger line so I can bend out the jig hook and save a few when stuck in wood? I’ve not noticed any change in bites as compared to fishing partners but do save on jigs. I typically join the braid to fluorocarbon with a double uni knot. I’ve also used an Alberto knot aka modified Albright when using larger diameter lines because it is a little less bulky. I prefer to avoid swivels banging on my guides. I’m trying to learn to tie the FG knot for joining large diameter lines that the salt water fishermen use because it is the least bulky of all and very strong. I find the biggest problem for me with braided line is wind knots. I typically close the bail with the reel handle and sometimes this will leave a strand of line across the top of the spool. That strand is what causes the wind knot on subsequent casts. I now either close the bail with my hand or look at the spool to see if any line on the top. I also hang a couple of safety pins on my sweatshirt so I can use them to pick out the knots. If I try to pick the knots with a jig hook it often results in frayed line due to hanging up on the barb. Grey Beard
10/22/15 @ 11:38 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Iused to use mono for evything except jigging. Been using fireline for jiggins for years. Have started using braid more often in some other conditions, however for jigging, it always braid. Just last week they did not have the 8/3 Fireline I like, so I purchased soem 10/4 Suffix 832, I was impressed with that, and may be replacing all my fireline with Suffx.
8/18/15 @ 9:21 PM
gypedandryped
gypedandryped
User since 1/26/07
i know it's a little late for my opinion but i think most walleye anglers will agree with my thoughts..for walleyes at least I use braid in almost everything finesse. the only time i don't use braid is trolling for walleyes...it also depends on what style of trolling your doing. Braid has no stretch and will give you better feel especially jigging. Verticle jigging and casting and retrieving a jig I use only flourcarbon leaders. Length of leader depends on water clarity. Stained water you can get away with less of a leader ,1 1/2 -2 ft(typically) Clear water it's a 2-3ft leader i always use barrel swivels especially verticle jigging. braid is also good for cutting through weeds if your jigging in weeds or casting lures near or in weeds. also braid line with a leader you need less of a hook set because of there is no stretch. braid will give you twice as much feel of the bottom or trees or rocks also fish bites. Mono line is good for trolling and casting. mono will have more of a stretch depeding on line strength. i also use mono line if i'm verticle jigging spring time walleyes because because it's so much easier to break your line and retie a jig that retieing a whole leader every few times with the braid and leader. lure weight and size also matters if your using lures or jigging. you can jig or cast with both lines but i almost always spool with braid. hope some of this info helps. i'm no profisherman but i always find walleyes and i know how to catch them consistanly.
7/13/15 @ 10:27 PM
habbababba
User since 4/30/11
Fireline. U can't go wrong very versatile, casts well, and sensitive.
7/13/15 @ 8:41 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13
Thanks everybody for all your input. I'm going to set a rod and reel up with braid and a fluro leader. Just to give it a try and compare to another pole with just mono on it.
7/9/15 @ 2:49 PM
ezturn
PRO MEMBER User since 9/4/12
Greg I have used Fireline since it came on the market.I normally use 4 or 6 lbs test. At first I would tie the jig direct to the line but after a couple hours of jigging I noticed the line was starting to twist at the jig. There would be a stretching feeling when setting the hook. Now I tie a small swivel and use aprox 3 ft of Flourocarbon for a leader. Works great just make sure you lubricate your knots good. Just this year I have spooled one rod with Berkely 6lbs Iron Silk. I use the Flouro leader set up with this line also and so far I like it. Good luck
7/9/15 @ 2:39 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Hey Greg, I use Suffix Flurocarbon exclusively. I like the invisibility, and the low stretch, and this is the brand I have found to work best for me. I have gone to 4lb. test for most situations, and have found my catch rate rising over using say an 8lb. test. I have just never liked braid. Just a personal preference.
7/9/15 @ 12:10 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13
Anybody?
Displaying 16 to 24 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE