LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Walleye Fishing

How many Hardcore tiller guys out there?

12/19/14 @ 6:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Still, after all these years, the tiller boat is still my favorite style for walleye fishing. I love the room, love the boat control, and now with power steering, love the big engines.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
5/24/15 @ 11:33 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
not that crazy slipery I have a 74 mirrocraft 14 footer that i mounted a 30 4 stroke on it. i could of put a 40 but thought that was over kill
5/24/15 @ 5:45 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01
I have 5 boats now that are tiller from 12' - 17', 3 with Mercs and 1 each Evinrude/Johnson 6-50hp. I have never driven a wheel boat and likely never will, I like the extra room.........
5/17/15 @ 7:50 AM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11
I just picked up a old mirro 14 musky hntr tiller 35 hp cant wait IM 60 YRS old now having mid life . Remembering when I was in my 20s would crank the throttle wide open 14 ft 30 hp move to the middle of boat and steer by shifting my body side to side fishing buddies said I was nuts I would not try this at home Yes I was nuts . As I said dont try this If the motor would have turned I might not be writing this .GOOD LUCK FISHING >
5/13/15 @ 12:36 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14
It is almost a crime how easy it is to steer a 150 tiller when you have the electric hydraulic system on it. My old 60 hp tiller gave me more torque, and I thought that was easy.
5/10/15 @ 8:40 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Saw some awesome tiller boats on Winnie this weekend from many different manufacturers. Tritons, Rangers, Lund, Warrior, Alumacraft, and YarCraft, they all looked very nice!
5/7/15 @ 12:32 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I was a tiller guy for years, and had the gamit of tin and glass tillers from 14' to 20'. I must have had a mid life crisis a few years ago and thought that I needed speed and a full windsheid. While speed and windshield was nice I just never felt comfortable. New boat will be a tiller again. Can't wait to get back to a tiller!!
4/24/15 @ 12:55 PM
get the frabill
get the frabill
User since 3/23/12
I love my tiller, for a lot of the reasons listed. The amount of space saved far outweighs the upside of a console. Used to run an 18' Lund single console and it was a great boat for panfish/ anchor fishing. Made the switch back to a tiller once I really got into Musky and Walleye fishing and have never looked back. The technology is great these days and you can steer with ease and power trim / tilt as needed. For my money and enjoyment on the water a tiller suits me just fine. I especially love it for trolling and the ability to get tight into an inside turn and then make a hard turn right in the zone. GTF <*(((><
3/10/15 @ 3:57 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
You will love it, that's an awesome rig!!
3/5/15 @ 12:56 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14
Me, I am putting my SeaNymph 17' backtroller with a Merc. 60 4S up for sale because I just picked up a 2013 2010 Pro Guide with a 150 Verado. More than I was looking for but should be a great boat. Maybe if I was making hour long runs I might think of a wheel, but for my 5-15 min. moves, a tiller is the bomb. Ches.
2/4/15 @ 12:51 PM
smbrickner
User since 4/16/09
I have an 18 foot Pro Guide. It's my 4th boat. First one was a 1996 Trophy Series, then a I had a Skeeter Bass Boat, and then a Lund Predator single console. You can't beat the room you gain with a tiller. Since I mostly fish central and northern wisconsin an 18 foot tiller is perfect for every application I run into.
2/3/15 @ 8:47 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Tommy - you made me think when you said how many fish came over the side of that old boat. My Grandpa passed 10 years ago, but we still have his 14' Alumacraft. It used to have a 9.9 on it, but got upgraded to a 20 then a 25 tiller. It has a split bench in the middle, and a flat carpeted floor. We used to talk about how many fish came over the side of that boat too. Good times!
2/1/15 @ 5:31 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06
I feel the same as you guys. Have two boats both tiller, lund 1675 50 hp, and a 14 Sea Nymph with a 6. The Nymph is a very light boat, can launch it pretty much anywhere. I fish out of it whenever I can get away with it. I like being so close to the water. And in shallow water, it will out-fish bigger higher boats.
1/30/15 @ 2:26 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06
I'm another guy that's all about tillers. I own a 16 ft Tracker pro-v sc with a 75hp on it. It's nice and all but really not a lot of room. My first boat was a 14ft deep-v sea Nymph with a 25hp tiller. Lots of fish pulled over the sides of that boat. Control was awesome and it was almost as fast as my new boat topping at 31 with just me and my gear.
1/29/15 @ 3:46 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Marc, your comment made me think back to my first tiller also. It was a Lund C-14 with a 5hp. Chrysler outboard on it. I can't tell you the countless hours I put on that little rig, and the many eye's that came over her sides. Bought it new, and thought I was in heaven.
1/29/15 @ 7:08 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Gotta add one more - I used to have a small Tuffy Roustabout - 15' with a 25 tiller. That was the most incredible fishing boat ever for me. Yes it was smaller, but it was so low profile it was like the wind didn't push it hardly at all. That boat just did what you wanted it to - the ultimate backtroller! Transom mount electric was all you really needed on it too, didn't hardly need the bow mount.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE