MORE
Walleye Fishing

Walleye Spinning Rods - Split Grip or Full Grip

8/21/14 @ 3:12 PM
INITIAL POST
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
So guys - which grip do you prefer on your favorite walleye spinning rod? There are pro's and con's to both, but what do you guys like?
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
6/26/15 @ 6:43 AM
port1042
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/12
I took the leap yesterday to Split Grip. I was in Cabela's in Sun Prairie and they had a special -- $30.00 off on St. Croix Premier Split Grip (a Cabela's exclusive). I picked up a 6'6" Med Light which I'll match with a 1325 Pflueger Purist. I've got a similar Full Grip Premier to compare it too.
6/16/15 @ 4:10 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Full cork no split grip crap.
6/10/15 @ 9:09 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I can not agree more with Shellfish,taking cork away behind the reel makes the rod feel heavier not lighter.The longer the rod the more you feel this,I to balance most of my rods they do feel much lighter.
6/9/15 @ 9:56 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I hated the Split Grips when they came out. Now I love them, they are much lighter, and you can still balance them too. Try one and then decide for your self.
4/22/15 @ 7:55 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
User since 8/11/10
Good Lord Marc, You have to ask that question ? I'm going to say as long as it's a Elk River Custom it's all good ! But I do love the looks of the split grip ;)
3/22/15 @ 10:33 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03
I just can't get myself to even buy split handle poles. I don't buy foam handles either. I usually add extra weight to the back end of the handle to better balance the rod and reel set up. Taking more cork away from the rod handle would make the rod even more nose heavy. A balanced rod / reel setup is a joy to use. More sensitive and less fatiguing over several straight days of fishing. Maybe I am just too old school. good fishing! Shellfish
9/15/14 @ 3:16 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05
tennessee handle, news to me. but I have a few ice fishing rods like that. would be nice to have for a big rod because you would be able to balance any reel on it. might have to look into one for my next rod.
9/15/14 @ 7:48 AM
tjandy
User since 8/22/14
I like both and really don't have a preference, for me it depends on the action of the rod. Lighter weight rods, I like full grip, heavier, split. Caught these fish on back to back days jigging, one with split grip Legend Tournament and the other on a full grip Legend Elite.
8/26/14 @ 9:50 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
Yes I was talking about rods with a guy maybe 35 years old that fishes often.I mentioned tennessee handles and he looked at me like I was nuts,could not wrap his head around wrapping tape around a handle to put a reel on.I think it lost out because it is semi permanent and they think they need to change reels.But how often do guys reallie change reels I seldom do.I actually would love a jigging rod with tennessee handle, then I could set the reel back so my hand would be ahead of the reel when vertical jigging and that would work great in cold weather.
8/25/14 @ 5:34 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Yes - Tennessee Handles are EXCELLENT! I don't know why they faded away. When I was a kid I knew that a guy jigging with a rod that had the reel taped to it was someone that probably knew what they were doing. So many folks today don't even know what a Tennessee handle is when I mention it.
8/23/14 @ 11:02 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I like a split grip for vertical jig fishing,for everything else I like a full grip.Then I am old school you built a rod for me a couple of years ago with a tennessee handle I like that better than anything.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE