MORE
Turkey Hunting

Brand New To Turkeys

10/30/14 @ 8:28 PM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Well, kind of, I went for one weekend probably 20 years ago, it was a trial of errors for both my dad and me when we went. That said, I am looking to give it another try in spring. I just applied for a spring permit (zone 3, its close and I have time to find a place to hunt). If I don't get one this year, I will apply again until I do. I really want to give this a go. Question is, what do I need? I have the gun and camo, otherwise, I am at a loss. So many different calls, decoys and the like out there, any help would be appreciated. I don't want to throw my money away on stuff I wouldn't need anyway. Thanks for any input you can provide. Or, if any of you seasoned veterans would be willing to show a rookie the ropes, I would be more than happy to trade a fishing guide trip (inland trout, river smallies or steelhead) for your services
Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts
2/14/15 @ 7:40 AM
Capt Oak
User since 4/1/14
Lots of really good advice. I like to use a quaker boy slate and mouth calls. I used to gag on them but once you get used to to them you'll love how they are hands free and the sounds you get out of them. My favorite tactic in the afternoon is to strip down to the bare necessities and run and gun for turkeys. I slowly walk and make soft calls until one answers. It really is exciting but I have gotten busted just as many times as I have scored.I have several properties I can hunt so I sit in the mornings and run and gun where I heard them last and hunt a different property the next day. Hang in there because there is a learning curve. The first year I went I was happy to get a bird to respond to my calls. The next year I missed one. I finally scored my third year and it has been "easier" since. I would like to take one with a bow now.
2/12/15 @ 10:50 PM
rutnstrut5
User since 5/2/14
I will definitely agree with mid day being a better time to hunt. Ill still be out early morning considering you can't beat those chills rushing down your back listening to birds hot off the roost. I've killed plenty of birds off the roost but ive also killed equal to if not more around that 10-12 hour (the time you wanna leave to get lunch) as far as decoys or calling, my personal go to decoy spread is a single hen, or a jake and a hen. And more importantly I belive is your calling. In my opinion turkeys are the easiest game to read. By that I mean if hes fired up to your calls, call again. I will call 4 times, if he hammers back to each sequence then your in the game, shut up and make him curious, he'll come. If your calling and you can get him to gobble but seems hesitant or just isn't sounding off right after your calling sequence, shut up, those are the types of birds that you will kill mid day since chances are hes with a hen and mid day that hen could slip away. If your calling and not getting any response after they fly down then do not over call. In that situation just call every half hour or so to let the birds know your there. Once you get a few birds to play with ya you'll get a better understanding of what I mean.. hey I grew up in a non hunting family and learned allll by myself and have killed plenty of birds. Btw im only 18, if a "punk" kid like ne can learn it you can to ;)
2/12/15 @ 3:58 PM
crossbow davio
User since 2/22/05
just like any other type of hunting (or fishing) understanding the habits and preferred foods can be helpful as is learning your how to use your equipment properly buy some calls and learn how to use them pot & peg calls are my favorite learn to call softly and avoid calling loud or too often turkeys hear real well but don't seem to be spooked by people talking softly for some reason. learn to move VERY slowly it seems they spook at anything that moves as their primary defense seems to be RUN!! watch the tom when he is approaching and look at his head color blue is good that means he is "in the mood" for love red is just the opposite he is then in the mood for fight or flight lastly you need to be patient as success only happens to one in five on average across the state pop up blinds work great and turkeys are not bothered at all by them actually had a hen brush up against mine once quite the rush i would buy some calls now and start practicing so you are good at it you dont have to sound as good as the guys on tv you just have to be good enough to entice a turkey good luck post a pic if you are lucky ps what week do you have i might be able to go with depending on the week pm me if you like
12/1/14 @ 10:30 PM
Mik
Mik
User since 3/28/08
Careful Troy this turkey huntin stuff is damn addicting Big Smile A few other tidbits you'll need: -Locator calls (owl hoot call, crow call) I carry both when out you never know what's going to get a gobbler to sound off - Acreage. I hunt public land and the more areas/spots you have to choose from the better...never know what the birds may be doin from day to day or what other hunters might be around that may cause you to go to back-up plan A,B, C,or D -Stubbornness. These birds aren't smart but they are wary and sometimes it takes a lot of effort to stick it out and close the deal on one. Don't give up if you don't bag one right away in the morning or hear gobbling....as others have said sometimes the mid days are the most productive...and not all of the time are the birds vocal gotta keep the eyes as well as ears on full alert. My 11 year old son didn't get one this year but he got to see one just out of range and hear the dark woods come alive with gobbles. We'll be tryin again in Spring as he is hooked!
12/1/14 @ 4:13 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
That makes sense Mani... I know you have to put some work into finding them, they see exceptionally well, and my buddies who get their big Tom are always super excited. Couldn't figure out why I was seeing Turkeys every time I was in my stand with no calls wearing blaze orange from head to toe.
11/30/14 @ 3:36 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Interesting thread... I've never been on a turkey hunt, but I do have a number of buddies who are really into it. I've heard similar stories about their ability to pin down your location. The interesting part for me is that this past weekend I saw all sorts of turkey's from my deer stand in Waupaca County - they had no idea I was there and I was of course wearing blaze orange. I know they see color well so I thought that was odd. My buddy told me that the sees turkey frequently from his stand. They must not look up to often...
11/8/14 @ 3:52 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
What do people consider a quality slate call. I got one of theose $12 ones and maybe thats too chincey, but then I dont want to spend $50 either.
11/6/14 @ 8:12 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
To elaborate more on the last part of my post. It's not that you don't want to answer a bird that is looking for you...but you don't want to respond right away. Let him gobble a few times and let him sweat a bit.....then give him a few soft yelps just to let him know you are still there. Kind of like playing hide and seek with a toddler....you want them to find you...but not be able to tell where you are from across the house. Just enough clues to keep them looking.
11/6/14 @ 8:05 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
You don't need a ton of calls. I carry one of each....box, slate and diaphram. If you can't get a diaphram to work for you, check out a push peg one...one hand operation. The Primos Box Cutter is in my go to box. Make sure you have a face mask. Decoys work at times , I quit lugging them around years ago and still kill birds. As far as time of day, I don't hunt early mornings unless inclimate weather or other duties call in the afternoon. If I hear a gobble in the afternoon I smile and whisper "see you soon". Mind you these calling tips are more geared towards afternoon Tom's or ones you believe are without hens. If he is cutting your calls off with gobbles...he knows where you are and call sparingly. When he starts gobbling on his own...he's looking for you.....don't answer. He will eventually come looking for you.
10/31/14 @ 7:42 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Thanks for the tips! I plan on giving it the time, in reference to your pack a lunch comment. None of this stuff comes easily as we all know, you need to put your time in, I am fine with that. Ideally, yes, I will find someone experienced to cut down on that learning curve. I don't know anyone personally that fits that bill though, that's why I asked here. Thanks again!
10/30/14 @ 10:12 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
One more thing I'll add is to pack a lunch. A lot of times the best time to hunt is midday about the time you want to go get lunch. In the am hens will occupy the toms time and typically ignore hunting efforts. Sometime around 11 am hens will slip away from the toms to tend to nesting efforts. During this time during the middle of the day toms can be easier to call or decoy in for what they think is a straggler hen in need of service. Also keep in mind that by trying to call a tom in, it is a reversal of nature. Typically a tom will gobble and strut with the anticipation of the hen coming to him.
10/30/14 @ 9:15 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
The best thing any first timer can do is find someone who is experienced to take them. Some of my best memories of turkey hunting is taking someone new. It's a long, long run of trial and errors for someone trying it by themselves. I know. I did. First rule of turkey hunting is that turkeys don't play by rules. Turkeys do what turkeys do. Second rule is to turkey hunt where turkeys are. Scout. A lot. It's best to start while there is still snow on the ground so they are easily visible. This may or not be the place you need to hunt but at least you'll know if turkeys are in the general area. Get permission for areas nearby well before the season starts. As your period gets close start doing some more detailed scouting and find where birds are and what general patterns they use during the day. Figure out where they roost and where they head to to feed. Scout the morning before and watch them. There's never a guarantee but they'll likely be using the same area the next day. Also watch late in the day and see where they go to roost. Scouting and learning where birds are and what they do is key to hunting them. For decoys. Sometimes none. Sometimes a strutting tom. Sometimes a single hen. Sometimes multiple decoys. There is no set rule as to what works. I'd say a strutting tom is my best decoy but they repel almost as many turkeys as they attract. When you get in an area with a dominant tom a strutting tom decoy can be lights out awesome. They'll come running in as fast as one you spook. With toms that have had their butts kicked a strutting tom will repel them. Calls. I like slates best. I gag on mouth calls and never use them. Boxes are big and not my favorite to use. As for when to or not to call all depends on how turkeys react to them. Sometimes a lot of calling works, other times none. Generally I find the best to be to call a little and shut up for 20-30 mins. If I get a tom to gobble on a call, I'll try to call and get him excited then go silent and make him come looking. I've had toms clear 1/4 mile looking for where the call came from. One thing you'll be shocked at is how close a tom can pin down where that call came from and how long they'll remember it. It all comes down to getting out and doing it and getting experience to learn from. Going with someone who is experienced will cut the learning curve significantly.
Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE