MORE
Trout Fishing

spinning rods

5/25/11 @ 3:57 PM
INITIAL POST
lead-core
lead-core
User since 7/8/06
what length does every body like useing for inland trout? state length and brand and what type of water it is used on. mine is a 4 1/2 foot UL for smaller creek and river along with a 7 foot UL on the same water.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 posts
7/26/11 @ 7:49 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
gotta love pflueger Blush

7/26/11 @ 6:35 PM
FISH55555
FISH55555
User since 3/17/09
Shakesphere Excursion 6ft. $11.97 , nice cork handle and reel seats that are sweet, no metal to hand contact. Bought a few of them and beat the crap out of them , never broke one yet. Had them about 10 years now. Looked through a bunch of them and picked out the best ones without flaws. WalMart, I doubt they still sell them.

7/26/11 @ 6:58 AM
augie2
User since 9/28/04
5'6" St. Croix Avid UL w/ pflueger president reel...love the thing, don't plan on changing it any time soon. I also have a 7' St. Croix Legend Elite ML for walleyes, love that one too but I don't think it is nearly enough better than the Avid to justify the additional cost.

7/16/11 @ 1:15 AM
ripper
User since 6/15/01
I had this guy make me a few.. www.wheresmyrod.com

I have the Timber Coulee model plus a shorter one I had him custom make for me.

Shorter the better if you fish off of the beaten path! I can't imagine dragging a 7 footer back to some of my favorite holes!! I use 4# on the shorter (5 foot or less) rods and if you set the drag right it's a blast!

5/30/11 @ 10:10 PM
outdoorsman26
outdoorsman26
User since 1/7/08
6foot St.Croix and a excelser reel

5/28/11 @ 1:07 PM
goh
User since 3/15/03
Custom 7 foot St.Croix Avid UL with Shimano 1000 spooled with 5 pound powerpro and joined to3 feet of 6 pound stren mono leader via improved shock leader knot.

5/27/11 @ 2:20 PM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06
6 1/2 ft fenwick eagle gt light action fast tip for most applications with 4 or 6 pound trilene sensation. I use my 7 foot ml action fast tip st. croix triumph for big browns. Usually spooled with 6lb sensation. I broke my favorite trout rod last year. 6 1/2 ft Browning gold medallion with a pfluger trion spooled with 4lb sensation or 6 lb floro.

5/27/11 @ 5:50 AM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
7 foot medium light Fenwick with a Pflueger President

5/26/11 @ 11:52 PM
Setterlover
User since 5/23/11
6 1/2 foot St. Croix UL w/ a shimano reel and 4 or 6 lb stren magnathin. Don't plan on ever changing it. Well, was thinking about maybe trying out some 8 lb powerpro but that would be about it.

5/26/11 @ 12:47 PM
Fysh
User since 4/23/03
I've gone through a lot of rods.

An oooold Fenwick 6' medium with a really fast tip. Excellent. Then it broke.

A custom made 6' lamiglass blank with 9 line guides. Best rod ever. Lost over the side in a deep, fast river. Cry.

Lately I use a 4' 3" Cabelas pro series UL rod I found in a garage somewhere. Lost 3" of the tip which made the action a little stouter. Very nice rod with the 'modification'.

But I got a 6' St Croix UL for xmas from my Bro and I'm liking it so far. That'll be my primary for now. The action is a little slow, but with 6lb line instead of 4 it casts very well.

I also have a 5.5' Fenwick that is UL++. Very fun to land a 15+ on that noodle. Also can launch small lures a good 25 yards.

I've used so many different types of rods over the years that it is pretty clear that anything will work, as long as it is balanced to the weight of the lures/bait you are using.

Other than the new St Croix I use 4' Trilene Flouro on all setups and change it twice a year. Usually no problems with it, but I am very careful to avoid loose line on retrieves. For the longer rod with the slightly slower action I use heavier 6' to get a few more feet out of my casts when needed.

Wow a lot of 7' rod users. I wouldn't have expected that. My little bush rod has allowed me to make a lot of casts that even a 6' rod couldn't make. Of course I fish WI bluff country and the good streams there are not exactly 'open'.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE