MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Beer Batter

2/12/15 @ 7:53 PM
INITIAL POST
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06
I don't make Beer batter very often. Is it better if beer is flat,or carbonated? or does not make a difference. Will be doing fondue and want the batter to not get too thick. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
3/12/15 @ 11:41 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
375 deg F. I cook all my fish like this.
3/12/15 @ 10:14 AM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
If your grease / oil is not hot enough, your fish will be greasy.
3/12/15 @ 9:39 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
They were chilled a bit, perhaps not enough? I did wind up eating it all and basically enjoyed it and did not get indigestion (gastronomically challenged also). When removing the pieces, after letting them drain for a couple of minutes and placing them on paper towels, I noticed a lot of oil residue on the towels. I try very hard to eat well and this just did not sit right with me. As I said, very tasty!
3/11/15 @ 5:42 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Did you have the fish and batter ice cold? I should have mentioned that. It really seems to help with the greasiness and crispness. I never really thought it was that greasy. I'd know since I'm very sensitive gastrically and would be eating a tub of Tums if it were that greasy. Glad you liked the flavor.
3/11/15 @ 1:05 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK. Bugle, I tried your recipe and it was very tasty.................and very greasy. It just reminded me why I never use beer batter any more. Sigh.....It was the best "tasting" that I have tried so far, just too greasy for my liking. Please don't take this as an insult, just personal preference. I used pike and dried the fish thoroughly before dipping.
2/28/15 @ 8:54 AM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06
Higgs, I agree 100% about dry. It's not hard on the oil and less mess. Just in some instance batter is the better choice. I tried a bunch of dry mixes and cannot think of one I didn't like, but that's a different thread.
2/27/15 @ 3:14 PM
Higgs
User since 1/14/13
Beer batter seems more greasy to me than the dry mix. Tried a few beer mixes with the same results. Stick with bread crumbs or any dry from the store. Pano is always a good choice.
2/24/15 @ 12:53 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I've experimented with using different styles of beer. I think that my favorite has been an oatmeal stout.
2/23/15 @ 11:07 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06
Fondue night was a success. My batter was 1 cup beer, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup Mie's breading, 1 egg, a pinch of sugar and salt, 2t baking powder. After mixing ingredients I just added more Mies until I had the consistency I wanted. Breaded shrimp, mushrooms, cauliflower, cheese curds. Should of had jalapeno peppers, next time. The breading got great reviews. Thanks Guys... Going to try out the Miso Vinaigrette from website also.
2/18/15 @ 5:42 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Sorry guys, I didn't see that anyone wanted the recipe until this evening. It's a great batter, better than any I've come up with. The ingredients aren't anything Earth shattering but they got the ratios just right. Here's the link... http://raspberryisland.com/fishing/seafood/ Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. It's the beer battered halibut recipe. The batter works just fine with any fish. By the way, if you ever want a 5-star experience in Alaska, check this place out!
2/18/15 @ 4:42 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Bugle, I also would like the recipe. Thanks. Jim
2/13/15 @ 5:17 PM
thecook
User since 5/15/14
Russ' Story The best darn batter you'll ever taste. It's easy to make and guaranteed to make any fish taste better. Ingredients 1 1/2 C. Bisquick 1/2 C. cornstarch 1 egg 1 can beer at room temperature Directions Step-By-Step 1 With a fork, mix together Bisquick and cornstarch. Mix beer and egg together. Add dry ingredients and let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Dry fish before dipping into batter. Wink Wink
2/13/15 @ 4:43 PM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01
BugleTrout Where is the fish recipe All ways like a new one to try out.
2/13/15 @ 4:39 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06
Yes, I would like it also.
2/13/15 @ 3:31 PM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Come on BugleTrout let's hear the recipe. I love a good beer batter. That's what this thread is for is sharing. Smile
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE