MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Cure for V-Jerky

8/23/14 @ 9:39 PM
INITIAL POST
Last Sniff
fishinfool1
User since 3/14/10
If I dry my Jerky in the over with the temp set just below 200, do I need to add Cure to my jerky mix. I don't like the added saltiness and think that the cure is mainly used for drying meat at a much lower temp. What do you think.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
10/21/14 @ 12:44 PM
RiverGuy
PRO MEMBER User since 6/20/03
Looks dang good, that's for sure.
10/14/14 @ 4:06 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
How was it? Looks good in the smoker...
10/3/14 @ 3:56 AM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
I use Hi Mountain black pepper blend usually, but tasted this recipe (post below) recently w/venni instead of beef and it was good! Had the same with goose breast and good as well...I don't say that about goose much (if ever). Worth checking out... Hi Mountain is always great though...nothing like munchin on venni jerky while you're hunting the next ;) If the salt is too much, go lighter with the seasoning packet, but stay true to the recommended cure/weight ratio. It's safe.
10/3/14 @ 3:41 AM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
www.food.com/recipe/homemade-beef-jerky-42272
10/1/14 @ 12:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
When I make jerky out of strips of meat vs. ground and extruded, I just use a soy sauce brine. Use the real stuff, not the low sodium. I don’t really have any set measurements other than adding enough to thoroughly cover the strips. I add brown sugar and fresh-ground black pepper (lots of it) to the soy sauce and place everything in a Ziploc bag. I leave it in the frig for a day or two and turn and mix the strips and brine a few times. Unlike with fish, I do not rinse the meat before putting it in the dehydrator or smoker. That salty, sweet and spicy brine dries to a nice glaze on the jerky.
8/29/14 @ 5:21 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Most any place that sells meat processing supplies will have cure. True cure does not contain any salt. There are a many seasonings available that have cure added, don't mix them up with pure cure. Most seasoning kits have cure as a separate packaged ingredient adding that when making the mixing up a batch of meat to be processed. Yes you should use cure in making jerky and there is no need to get the drying process up to 200 degrees. 120 - 140 degrees is plenty. Typically 1 oz. cure does 25 lbs of meat or 1 oz. in 2 1/2" gallons water for a brine soak.
8/26/14 @ 12:26 PM
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
PRO MEMBER User since 7/3/06
You shouldn't be adding that much cure anyways. If you're using something like tender quick that's why its so salty. Go to a sausage making shop online or in person and buy yourself some cure #1.
8/26/14 @ 9:41 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
The salt is a very important part. Thats why allot of home recipes use soy sauce. Aside from the flavor the salt also helps preserve the meat.
8/24/14 @ 9:39 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07
Curing jerky and sausage kills bacteria and aids in preventing Botulism I believe. I would recommend a low sodium jerky cure. HI Mountain makes some...pretty sure it's found at Gander and Cabelas?
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE