SEARCH
MORE
Pike Fishing

Ice Fishing Pike

12/13/12 @ 9:03 AM
INITIAL POST
serious fisherman
User since 6/28/08
Any specific strategies you guys have for catching those huge pike through the ice? what bait works best? Leader material? Hook size?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 44 posts
2/25/17 @ 12:14 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

it shows low self esteem, and lack of actual knowledge when you have to surf fishing threads and have to criticize someone's grammar skills.

2/24/17 @ 3:02 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I rest my case and will let your maturity speak for itself.

2/24/17 @ 1:15 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

River Chaser, one who lives in glass house shouldn't throw stones... "Crappi" gradeschool

2/24/17 @ 11:09 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

pe, you did say its a joke. Your seeming arrogance is out of line considering youre likely old enough to choose something besides grade school language skills 

2/24/17 @ 10:19 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Ulbian;   Don't be so thin skinned, nobody said stupid or its a joke but you.. I only stated facts that make it very impractical. I have fished in one hole tournaments. the one that I fish is, one hook per the hole. Maybe not the case here, but anyway to many negatives vs the benefits. Northern dont need proding to bite. If you know the species, they will hit stuff just to be mean with no intention of eating it.

2/24/17 @ 9:50 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Pike eyes,  

The inquiry about two hooks on one tip up is covered in the ice fishing inventions thread.  It's a very reasonable thought/tactic for the situation he will be in.  As a matter of fact, it's pretty wise to ask about the possibilities of doing based on the scenario which he will find himself in.  

...and no, it's not a joke or stupid to employ this type of set up.  It is situational but can be very, very effective.  

2/24/17 @ 4:17 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

2 hooks [1] line what a joke...for one why would you want to put up with all the tangled mess. Alot of times your shinner or sucker tries to swim up. So now he has something to tangle around. And when fighting a fish you have to contend with another hook potentially getting snagged on something,hooked on the bottom of the hole, or wrapping around your other line and breaking off?? Why would you want to cut down your odds with 2 hooks in one hole when you could fish 2 spots with 2 hooks. Good luck with that.

2/23/17 @ 9:03 PM
dragonflag
User since 11/27/08

VMC Sure Set treble hooks are the cats arse. One wide gap for hooking the minnow, the other two regular but shorter than the one.

Nice presentation. Here is a twist for shiner minnows, Hook them upside down. Through the vent, along side the spine, and out toward the tail. Now the minnow will swim steady as opposed to hanging upside down. Keep hook size proportionate to minnow size.

This works best with line leaders (not wire) check for nicks, re-tie as needed. Bam! 

2/21/17 @ 5:19 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Eh, now it makes sense.  Last week I hooked 3 pike on tiny jig and waxies while fishing for crappi. They  either fell off the tiny hook or broke the line.  Biggest one of them looked about 24 inch . The pike will bite on almost anything.

2/21/17 @ 9:18 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

My apologies river c,

Started throwing ideas around  in the ice fishing forum forgot to look back here. But in two weeks, up in da UP eh. I'm fishing a one hole only derby. You make a choice pan or game fish, you poke one hole at start time and that's it, you fish that one hole till the finish. Not necessarily my cup of tea. I suffer from a little anxiety. If I'm not catching, I start moving, start "throwing the tackle box" at 'em. $#!+ even if I am catching, I'm still lookin, pokin holes, tossing the camera in, might find something better? So now only one hole? What bait? What depth in the water column?. To many decisions. So just trying to figure out, how to get the most out of one hole. Hence the two baits off one tip up and able to fish two different depths. Thinking it might be fun just trying to figure it out?

2/20/17 @ 12:27 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The drop rig on a tip up is being discussed in another thread.  It makes sense there why he wants to do this.

Hooking a live minnow onto a dead bait is very effective.  Just that little bit of wiggle/flash that a live minnow creates is a pretty good triggering mechanism.   

2/20/17 @ 12:11 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

1fowl1, I am trying to see the sense of rigging with 2 baits on one tipup. You run the risk of entanglement and inconvenience of storage. I would just use 2 tipups.

2/17/17 @ 9:35 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Weird situation, but has anyone successfully rigged one tip up, with two hooks/ to baits. Like a drop rig, hanging wire, etc? Live on the bottom and a dead bait on top? Thx.
1/25/15 @ 6:44 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13
do you think 50 yds of tip-up line is enough for big pike? what is your opinion?
1/22/15 @ 11:20 AM
but gills
User since 1/28/06
Any place around oshkosh to get smelt?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 44 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE