SEARCH
MORE
Panfish Fishing

Best way to catch pan fish

7/8/15 @ 9:00 PM
INITIAL POST
narbars
User since 4/24/13
We are going on a family fishing trip in august. I really have never fished for them before. Looking for information on best way to catch them for the kids. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Narbar
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
3/4/16 @ 11:56 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I used to religiously fish 4 lb line when summer panfishing, to the point of making fun of my friend who will not use less than 6 lb test, ever. Then one day my float goes under and when I set the hook I am into a very heavy fish. Didn't see him for a solid 5 minutes or more as he stayed down and away in about 18 fow. All the while I am playing this fish my friend is laughing at me and telling me to quit fooling around and bring that damn fish in. He has the net in hand and had to reel in his rods and wait for me to wear the fish down. Well, it turned out to be a 22" smallie that easily went close to 6 lb. Once he netted it and dropped the net unceremoniously to the boat floor he told me "unhook your 4 lb test fish" all the while laughing his ass off. I went out a few days later and bought 6 lb line and respooled all my pannie rods. Blush
3/3/16 @ 9:18 AM
Tiefsa
BradyW
User since 3/3/16
Bluegills in general are the easiest fish to catch. At least where I fish. Bread on a hook, drop it is 3 foot water, and snag 10 gills in 2 minutes. Family favorite to catch, keeps the kids content. Taste pretty good too.
1/31/16 @ 3:02 AM
rottenfisher1
rottenfisher1
User since 11/8/10
I used to use live bait for panfish in the summer, but I catch a lot more now using tube jigs. https://www.google.com/search?q=betts+tube+jig&biw=1517&bih=741&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlv4-6ytPKAhXJVyYKHX5jCZ8Q_AUIBygC&dpr=0.9
8/2/15 @ 9:08 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
Nice gill
8/1/15 @ 1:10 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
I went out last night and found all of my panfish in the slop. That 10 lb line did not even flinch pulling them from open water thru the weeds to my boat. I stand by the new Zebco 33 all metal reel spooled with the 10 lb cajin line. For an off the shelf, ready to fish reel, it cant be beat. The big gill and bass in the photo were caught with the same set up. Both still swimming. Just my 2 cents.
Best way to catch pan fish photo by ol sarge
7/30/15 @ 9:06 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I also agree with using heavier line,I use 8lb on most of my bait rods.I use the heavier line because they just love to dig into thick weeds.Now saying that I also use line as light as 2lb when I need to, when casting light jigs.I have started to use 5 lb braid for casting light jigs around cover.That stuff is way stronger than 5lb and has the diameter of 1 lb mono use it on a 8ft ultralight for light jigs cast a mile.
7/29/15 @ 8:40 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
I said 10lbs test because that is what comes prespooled on the Zebco 33. It is all I fish with and it is not too heavy. When fishing for gills, you are bound to catch the occasional bass or cat and you will be glad you had the heaveir line. This is the perfect set up for younger folks who may not know how to work the drag. Nothing more disappointing than losing that big fish because the line broke. I have fished 10lbs test and Zebco 33 for over 40 years and it is my go to for panfish. The only time I change my rod and reel selection is when I am fishing walleyes, then it is spinning reel and fire wire. I say keep it as simple as possible. Just my 2 cents
7/28/15 @ 6:08 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
find the outside edge of a weed bed and anchor. Cast around the edge with a slip bobber until you find them. another method that I grew up on was find the weed edge and drop your line right over the side until it hits bottom. Bring up 2 cranks and wait. THEY WILL COME!
7/28/15 @ 3:55 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Zebco 33, 6 ft rod, 10lbs test line, Rocket bobber, split shot,small hook, piece of night crawler, cast towards any cover, reel in fish repeat. You can not do it wrong.
7/24/15 @ 7:59 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
Remember that most panfish have small mouths; get small hooks, sizes 6, or smaller would be best.
7/14/15 @ 8:50 PM
narbars
User since 4/24/13
Thanks for the info. I fish for bass. I have herd of people using uncle josh pork bait. Is that any good.
7/9/15 @ 5:18 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13
Get a ultralight ulgy stix with six pound test on it. and small bobber that they can take it down but still see the bobber from a distance of 10-15yds. and also if u want u csn use slip bobbers, also. but a good bit for panfish that does bother to much if its hot is waxworms. and they are creap about $1 or so for about three dozen. depending how much u fish.
7/9/15 @ 8:38 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
You never fished for panfish? What have you fished for? Get a cheap combo from Wal-Mart and you got a good start. Just put a bobber, a hook, and a 1/2 a worm for bait. Doesn't get any easier to catch them. Good luck!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE