Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

As I sit upon this icy lake

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

C-Town
C-Town
Level: General User
3/2/12 7:51 PM CST
How many of you can go fishing for walleye and catch at least one legal eye each time you go targeting them? Because as I sit here on this icy lake with nothing on the vexi nor any flags for 4+ hours I wonder if its just me that has a hard time icing eyes like the next guy. Wondering

7Heavens
7Heavens
3/7/12 10:49 AM CST
I put in at least ten hours per walleye this year. Prolly closer to twenty!

flatlander68
flatlander68
Level: MEMBER
3/6/12 8:25 PM CST
I saw the post and thought it was a riddle like " as I sit so broken hearted tried to" well you know the ending, right. Have to laugh in general not at the season, at least we got to fish!

big-fat-john
big-fat-john
3/6/12 1:06 PM CST
like micheal jackson said, you are not alone!

i've fished bago close to 20 days this year and only caught one walleye. i also caught a fat 3.5lb sauger, but we're talking walleyes.

they are the most elusive of the active fish through the ice IMO

both came jigging.

[This post was last edited on 3/6/12 at 1:08 PM]
cds
See Profile
3/6/12 12:26 PM CST
What depths do you target? And do you jig?

Tip-ups are usually an afterthought for me. I pick the spot for jigging. I like 20' to 45' fow.

C-Town
C-Town
3/6/12 11:58 AM CST
I live near Rice Lake and there are so many "good" walleye lakes around. But when it comes to looking for structure and what to fish depending on conditions I am at a loss. Come open water I can catch all the eyes I want but it seems like some part of what I am doing is wrong. I feel like I am putting in plenty of time on the ice and am due for a few really nice eyes or maybe a little consistency.

I look at the lake maps too and I will pick a prime spot...move around a bunch and still no dice.

cds
See Profile
3/3/12 10:00 AM CST
Without knowing you or where you are,i think i can say with confidence that it's partly the lakes you fish,and it partly you.

I fish Waukesha county,I icefish often,I fish hard. many times I'll tote tip-ups and minnows around and never settle on a spot to put them - because many times I've caught two or three fish jigging while a couple tippys nearby never get bit...

Jigging is the way to go in the majority of places. The exception is when fish are scattered and shallow.

That all said,I can remember every time I limited on walleye thru the ice in Waukesha county. Three legal fish is a very good day,one fish is alright....yet there's lakes I sometimes drive to that I expect catch at least 3 legal walleyes.

Work to better learn the waters near home and your success rate will improve - but don't expect miracles.... or spend the gas money and driving time to fish lakes with a better walleye bite.

(edit) One reason I seldom set tip-ups is that I don't want to waste valuable walleye fishing time catching slimers. Many times they're be set right next to a hole with the depth set,waiting for dark.

[This post was last edited on 3/3/12 at 10:04 AM]
n.pike
n.pike
3/2/12 9:51 PM CST
It's not just you. Walleyes are hard to catch on a consistant basis. Much different than pike.

mwgazoo
mwgazoo
3/2/12 9:09 PM CST
I move and move and move and move till I find fish.

scare
scare
3/2/12 8:13 PM CST
I get skunked about every third time when i target walleyes. Thats what makes catching them so rewarding, that and the filets.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird The 60 Second Angler St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook