SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

deep or shallow...perch or bluegill?

2/28/12 @ 5:56 PM
INITIAL POST
TKfishes
User since 8/23/09
I found big perch in shallow water and big bluegills in deep....first off I've never caught many decent bluegills in shallow water outside of spawning time but am told often that they are there...in search to prove this...I found 12-13 perch no bluegills....they are still deep I guess. What are your preferences or "theories"
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/7/12 @ 11:04 AM
Thomas Droste
Thomas Droste
User since 1/1/06
This time of year, especially in deeper lakes. 20+ fow. The perch are starting to come up shallower for spawning. They can still be caught deep but I have better luck in the 8-14 fow range. Early in the winter I fish the same depths but as winter hits it's peak I am usually in the deepest section of the lake on deep flats or deep weedlines. After the weeds start to die the gills seem to head out and suspend over deeper water. As the winter progresses the gills and other suspending fish seem to be found closer and closer to the bottom where the water is warmer and there is more oxygen. By this time of year I would be targeting gills within a few feet of the bottom over some structure or a break or if you fish some manmade lakes like I do with little to no structure I fish the deepest holes and flats and move around a lot. Without structure it seems these fish more around a little more.
3/6/12 @ 12:51 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Holy Cow! How big was that perch?
3/6/12 @ 11:03 AM
big-fat-john
User since 4/21/03
i have never caught jumbos of either species of fish in less than 5 ft of water. i have however, gotten them to commit to coming up the water 2 or 3 feet to bite in the same 5ft of water. for perch on bago, i have had some success shallow when a lot of guys are out deep. for example, i'll be fishing between 5 and 12 FOW and catching nice perch where most people are looking to get out to 16/17 FOW. for gills, i have better success shallower than i do deeper, but all the areas i fish are back bays that are less than 9 feet of water. my brother has a bluegill hole he fishes and it's only 2.5 to 3 feet deep. two seasons ago he pulled out a limit of 8" or better fish. he swears by the shallows for gills. won't go in anything less than 10' for perch though.
3/2/12 @ 7:20 PM
Get Hooked
User since 9/1/09
I catch Perch on the same lake in 5-6 f.o.w. in thick weeds, with tip-ups, and I jig out deeper, I catch them in both spots. This is a smaller lake with the deepest being 22 ft. I use large shiners in the shallows, and large shiner heads on a buckshot spoon out deeper. This is consistant all winter.
2/29/12 @ 12:56 AM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07
I think it really depends on the body of water and the conditions at the time. In January this year on a well known perch lake the majority of the pressure was out deep, 35-40 fow. These guys were catching some fish, but my group found active jumbos in 12 fow, and caught them consistently over a period of 2 weeks. It reminded me of an article on walleyes I read a year or so back about "two stage" bites. It basically said that on any given body of water there can be a simultaneous deep and shallow bite. I can recall a few other times where fish were caught both out on deep flats and in vegetation at the same time. This whole fishing thing seems way too complicated sometimes...
2/28/12 @ 11:02 PM
TravisJK
User since 5/1/08
depends what lake most of the time ill catch perch in 25-40 feet gills on the other hand in bout 8 thats cause i only fish 1 lake for gills and that as deep as the lake gets
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE