SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Grubs in weeds

10/31/11 @ 10:24 AM
INITIAL POST
deerlaker
User since 2/24/11
hey guys i know that inside some weeds they have a ball and if you cut into the ball you can find a worm inside. how do you guys store these untill winter? if you dont know what i am talkinga bout ill try to post a picture thanks!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
11/18/11 @ 9:48 PM
guttersnake
guttersnake
User since 9/15/05
The susies as I call them are actually really easy to find,The plants they grow in are not the small ornamental variety altho they may have them too... these are really easy to find these grow anywhere from 3 to about 10 feet tall.Sometimes in small clusters and other times in very big stands.I was out this afternoon looking for more and it seems that the migrating birds hit them pretty hard over the last few weeks.I am pretty close to lake Michigan so the season for them is a little different here than my buddy out in Western Kenosha county.

I was out that way in early Oct and Frost had already claimed the plants for the season but here they have just recently died for the year which happened to come after the big migration of birds that went through recently.I saw many sticks that I could not take due to birds just tore the majority of them up.

I wouldn't think of making a whole winter supply out of this kind of natural bait unless you have fast easy ways to clean them.The sticks from the Susans are far easier to crack and look through than the galls though.Like someone said before you can go to vados and buy enough spikes to last a winter and these stay on way better than waxies.I personally have 3 days off a week and a alot of time on my hands so I may as well split sticks and galls.Its only a couple of weeks away here and I like not having to stop at the bait shop all the time.

11/1/11 @ 11:35 AM
tinyfisher
tinyfisher
User since 12/4/02
A quick tip for splitting the galls, use a small hand pruner instead of a knife. Usually more work than they;'re worth, but sometimes they'l buy a few extra bites.

11/1/11 @ 10:00 AM
deerlaker
User since 2/24/11
wow thanks for all the replies. I am currently collecting some of them right now!

11/1/11 @ 8:15 AM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
jigsaw has it right. Split the goldenrod galls and remove the grub, store them in a tin or tupperware with corn meal, in the fridge. The corn meal helps to keep them dry and not sticking together. They will keep all winter.

Sometimes those tiny balls of grub are exactly what the fish want, in my experience.

11/1/11 @ 3:51 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
User since 9/15/05
There are also susies as I've heard them called.A big daisy type Flower that gets cut in half when the grubs are laid.Find good stands of those near wetlands and you wil have something that looks like a waxworm but lasts longer.A few good outings and you will have enough.

10/31/11 @ 8:13 PM
jigsaw
User since 6/19/01
I put some corm meal in a snuff can and put them in that than keep in the frig.

10/31/11 @ 10:41 AM
tinyfisher
tinyfisher
User since 12/4/02
I believe you're talking about gall worms. They live in the stem of goldenrods, and form a woody ball around themselves. You can just keep the stems inside a bucket outside or in the garage, and open them up when you're ready to use them. We have also opened up a bunch at a time and kept them in bait pucks in the fridge with no problems. We didn't keep them in sawdust because they're a pain to get out if you do.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE