Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Lake Of The Woods Walleye Lures

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
Level: MEMBER
1/5/11 7:35 PM CST
I'm headed for Lake Of The Woods for an ice fishing trip next week. I fish walleyes in Northern Wisconsin regularly and have a good assortment of jigs, spoons, pimples and raps.

If you've been to LOTW, I'd appreciate advice on what baits and sizes work best.

addicted2eyes
addicted2eyes
Level: General User
1/5/11 9:40 PM CST
I just got back from there last week for the first time. We stayed as zippel bay and fished for 3 days. It was great caught a limit every day.

Here is what we used and pretty much everyone i talked to up there was using this as well.

1/16th oz spoons are by far your best choice. You will most likely be fishing 22 fow and you don't want something too big and heavy. I went out and bought all these 1/8th and 1/4 oz spoons before i got there and when we talked to the guy in the bait shop it made sense to go with the 1/16th.

- green glow stop sign spoon with gold back - green 1/16 oz macho minnow - gold lindy rattle flyer small size - buckshot rattle

The only colors i would use are glow green, glow red and gold. 1/16 oz stop sign in green and gold worked the best by far. Water is stained.

You need fatheads for the spoons using only the head. I throw the tail down the hole. Sometimes when we reeled up a fish it would puke a bunch of tails up so it's like chumming around your shack. Buy some small emeral shiners for the deadsticks and rattle wheels. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
Level: MEMBER
1/5/11 9:05 PM CST
Thanks guys. I have a pretty good supply of Buckshot Rattlespoons in 1/8 to 3/8 in various colors. I was expecting that to be the most recommended bait. I also have quite few Swedish Pimples in the same sizes and colors.

I have few jigging raps but I think they are the #3 or #5 size. I was thinking that they would be good for perch but what about walleye?

I have a ton of 1/4 oz Odd Ball jigs in various colors that I use on Green Bay. Hopefully they'll do the trick if all else fails.

Can't wait for the trip. Next to Alaska, this is the biggest adventure I've been waiting for.

TeamRenegade57
See Profile
1/5/11 8:15 PM CST
bugle, ditto said it right buckshot rattle spoons are a hot item...1/8 oz. gold jigs, chartreuse and gumball colored are also good choices...mimic minnows work well, and when fish are really finnicky try a split shot and octopus gamakatsu hook (yellow or orange)...good luck and have fun

ditto
ditto
1/5/11 7:48 PM CST
I've been to LOTW ice fishing a couple times both out of Baudette and in the NW angle. Make sure to have a good supply of Northland Buckshot spoons in various sizes and colors as they are always the go-to lure up there. Also have some Jigging Raps. All the times I've been there the fishing has been so good that in reality the lure doesn't matter all that much.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook