SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Fluorocarbon leaders - Beaver Dam

10/21/14 @ 7:28 PM
INITIAL POST
Jimo
User since 10/21/14
Anyone use or tried these leaders by Beaver Dam Tip Ups???? Looking for reviews.. Any tips towards other types would be appreciated too! Thanks
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
11/17/14 @ 11:50 PM
Rob K
User since 12/6/08
Talked with a guy on the ice fishing yesterday, he had purchased the Beaver Dam brand pre-made leaders. He was out Saturday evening using them for the first time, said he had 2 walleyes on the line and both times they straightened out the hooks. One he lost before getting it up and pulled in his straightened out treble the other he pulled up before the hook straightened and he was able to grab it at the hole. I have no first hand experience with these and would never buy them anyway but was glad he passed along the review. I carry some light wire steel leaders when fishing for pike with the kids, other than that I have a spool of 50 lb braid I use when fishing for pike. If the water is stained I often leave these on for walleye too and have pretty good luck with them. If I am fishing clear water for walleye I switch over to 10 lb fluorocarbon. Use good hooks and keep them sharp, use good swivels if you're using them. Check the line after catching something for nicks / rough spots, change the leader if in doubt. Sometimes I will put beads and a blade on or just beads. I like to mix and match and adjust to what the fish tell me they want.
11/15/14 @ 11:00 PM
Z LEADERS
Z LEADERS
User since 1/23/13
For Walleyes try 10# Fluoro w/size 12 treble or 12# Fluoro w/size 10 treble. For Pike try 30# Fluoro w/size 6 treble. For other types of leaders per your request visit zleaders.com
10/24/14 @ 11:17 AM
Jimo
User since 10/21/14
Thanks for the tips. The most common info ive read about tip ups for eyes is the 30lb and 8lb fluro combo. I will be picking up the supplies this weekend!
10/24/14 @ 9:23 AM
JustPerchinAround
User since 1/16/14
Jimo, I stopped using wire leaders years ago. If I am targeting big pike, I use 30lb fluoro, haven't had any issues landing big fish. For walleyes, I scale way down and use 6 or alb fluoro. This can be a problem if a big old pike comes along, but I think the lighter line is critical to catching walleyes. Just buy a spool of 30 and a spool of 8 and make your own leaders.
10/22/14 @ 6:14 AM
Team Crap Eye
User since 1/24/09
20 pound at a minimum. I usually use 40 pound or so because it is easier to play the fish on a thicker line.
10/21/14 @ 9:30 PM
Jimo
User since 10/21/14
Thanks for the tips. I really want to get into tip up walleye fishing this season. Usually just jig for panfish so I appreciate the info Any tips on tip up line? 20 lb black braid?
10/21/14 @ 8:12 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07
I know you're asking for a review, but I'm sure others will agree with me when I recommend that you tie your own fluoro leaders. You'll save yourself some money and have the freedom to use whichever hook you prefer. I mostly chase walleyes with tip-ups and have been using 14lb fluoro with a size 12-14 treble the last few years, even when using larger sucker minnows. The hook size may seem small to some, but 95% of the time the fish are stuck in the corner of the mouth and bite offs are a non-issue, even with the occasional big pike. I also haven't noticed a decrease in flags when compared to 8lb mono, and the extra strength helps when you need to turn a fish's head up the hole. A uni knot works well for tying fluoro.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE