SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

.17 HMR questions

8/31/15 @ 2:30 PM
INITIAL POST
Watchinbobbers
User since 6/30/10
I'm thinking about getting a .17 HMR primarily to be used to hunt squirrels and have a couple questions. 1. How loud are they say in comparison to a .22 long rifle? (I'd want to use it in small farm woodlots not far from town and don't want to wear out my welcome with too much noise.) 2. I'd be taking headshots but if you hit a squirrel or rabbit in the body will it be blown apart, again say in comparison to a .22? 3. Suggestions for a very accurate gun. Preferably bolt action, nice trigger, wood or simulated wood, without a magazine jutting out the bottom of the gun, under or around $500?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
4/26/16 @ 9:06 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I've got a Savage 17HMR with a Bull barrel. Very accurate, a tad louder than a 22LR. I've had the gun since before 22 ammo got hard to find. When 22 ammo g I think difficult, I noticed that 17 HMR was always available so I started stock piling. I picked up a 17HMR revolver and like shooting that more than the rifle.
3/19/16 @ 2:39 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
My son bought me a Savage .17 that came with a scope. Out of the box it was close but with a little adjustments it is dead on. Tree rats don't have a chance but you got to shoot them in the head. It will blow them up. I had a issue with the clip when I first got it called Savage and no problem one was in the mail. It is a fun gun to shoot. It is as someone else said about as loud as a 22LR shot out of a pistol. I have squirrels out to 100 yards and can't wait o try one out there a ways. It is too bad the 22 plinking has gone by the way side. we can't still find shells and when you do they put the stick to you. I have a friend that works at Dicks and he says it is a shame to sell a person a gun 22 to a guy for his son and not have 22 shells to go with it. He says the first half hour of every day is answering the phone with the same people calling do you have 22 shells. Then if by chance they do come in the limit you to a few boxes.
9/27/15 @ 8:18 AM
Watchinbobbers
User since 6/30/10
I got a cz usa rifle an put a nikon prostaff 3x10 scope on it. It is very accurate. Tried it out at the range a couple times. Got some 50 yard 5 shot groups that are a single ragged hole. Most groups can be covered with a dime. The worst of the groups with the worst ammo I tried can be covered with a quarter. I also really like the feel of this gun. Not like carrying a 10-22 that feels like a toy. As for what I found out about the noise of the gun it is a lot louder than a .22 rifle. Its a louder deeper sound, the best way I can describe it is like a .22 long rifle shot out of a semi auto pistol. I have yet to shoot any game with it. Went squirrel hunting once without any luck. I went trout fishing at one of my favorite spots yesterday and found beavers making a dam across the stream. Not that I would do it but man I'd love to try the CZ out on them.
9/25/15 @ 12:30 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I bought a Savage Bolt Action 17HMR with the Bull barrel just for plinking. I have a Nikon Pro Staff on it. Love the gun, but it is considerably louder thatn a 22 LR. I also have a Tarus Tracker 17 HMR Revolver, just for plinking around. Again considerbly louder than a 22 LR.
9/14/15 @ 5:28 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
When it comes to smallish/medium size pest control the 17 HMR is my favorite. I got a Shilen 17 barrel for my Ruger 77/22 Mag.
9/10/15 @ 5:01 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
A5, at least 20 years. Last year was the first year I shot a deer in over 20 years with a round I didn't reload - it felt real weird and this year I'm back to reloads.
9/10/15 @ 7:30 AM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
Well played ditto. How long have you been reloading?
9/7/15 @ 3:57 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
I have a savage and this thing is deadly I have a Nikon on mine no need for turrets buy good clear glass. I have it zeroed at 50 it's like maybe 1/2 to 3/4 low at 100 so for all practical purposes I'm holding on fur from 0-100 yards. I have shot rabbits at 150 yards. Not a good yote rd. I have shot 5 or six all took multiple hits to put them down but one that I smacked in the head. But as far as tree rats they are awesome. They do a fair amount of damage thou if you don't head shoot them.
9/4/15 @ 3:19 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
1/4" at 100yds doesn't matter what caliber you're shooting it will move the POI 1/4". I'm guessing you have a scope that is marketed as a 22 scope because it comes with the different turrets for different weight bullets but that's only a rough estimate because different rounds can have different trajectories even with the same weight bullet due to velocity, ballistic coefficient, etc. These gadgets are great for selling scopes but unless you test it with your round and with your rifle they're not as effective as they advertise.
9/4/15 @ 11:54 AM
Unreel
Unreel
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
If it doesn't matter then why does my 22 scope have 3 turrets based on bullet weight? You can buy custom turrets for most scopes with the caliber and bullet weight on them. So 1 click equals 1/4" at 100 yards has no bearing on caliber or weight? Kinda nit picking but I think it matters.
9/3/15 @ 6:55 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Elevation turrets are the same for rimfire or centerfire scopes, most are 1/4" at 100yds (1/8" at 50yds) regardless of what the scope says on it. The HMR is flat enough that you really shouldn't need to twist turrets or use a calibrated reticle. A calibrated reticle is just a generic reticle that may or may not work for your particular ammo and rifle - odds are that it won't be though. I would stay away from any Simmons scopes. If you're going to be buying a nice CZ or Ruger get a decent scope on it. Personally I would go with either a Leupold or Nikon 3-9EFR so you can focus the paralex for closer rimfire ranges. I have the Nikon on my 77/22 and the Leupold on my Kimber, they're both very nice scopes.
9/3/15 @ 11:55 AM
Unreel
Unreel
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
I would opt for a rim fire scope for the sole reason of having more precise elevation corrections. The elevation turret on a regular 3x9-40 scope is designed for larger calibers.
9/2/15 @ 10:48 AM
Watchinbobbers
User since 6/30/10
Thanks for the info guys. Been looking around at gun shops and researching on internet last couple days. Made a decision and went for the CZ 455 fS the one with the mannlicher stock. Not crazy about the fact the magazine sticks out the bottom a little but otherwise a really nice looking gun. Other strong contender was ruger 77/17. It look exactly like the type of gun I had in mind but its a bit more than I wanted to spend and has some mixed reviews on accuracy. Had to order the gun no stores in area stock it, can't wait for it to get here. Now next question. If using primarily for squirrels should I get one of the scopes specially calibrated with mill dots or parralax adjustment for 17 hmr (like Simmons Protarget 17 HMR dedicated scope) or just get a nice 3x9x40 with normal recticle and good sharp glass?
9/1/15 @ 4:17 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
ALL I GOTTA SAY IS BUY ONE. I HUNTED W/ 22LR FOR YEARS AND LAST YEAR BOUGHT A 17 HMR AND I HAVE FALLING IN LOVE. THE 10-22 NOW COLLECTS DUST. IT IS THE PERFECT SMALL VARMIT RIFLE,LIVIN' IN THE COUNTRY WITH A SMALL PROBLEM OF VARMITS. IVE KILLED THING FROM 20'-125 YARDS W/ MINE. AND JUST IS A GREAT TARGET PLINKER ASWELL!! RUGER AMERICAN RIMFIRE AND OR SAVAGE!
9/1/15 @ 3:46 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
I have the Savage bolt action rifle with the heavy barrel as well. It does have the box magazine that comes down but it doesn't stick out real far, its only a 5 round mag. A lot of pop considering you are sending a grain of rice downfield.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE