MORE
Guns & Shooting

Youth hunting rifle...

8/31/14 @ 10:53 PM
INITIAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Out shopping this evening, lookin for a new hunting rifle for my 11yo son. He is a south paw (left handed), so the selection is slim. Was looking for a 243, but found a 7mm-08. I don't know much about the round, other than what I just read on the net and the "gun expert" at gander told me lol. Appears to be a nice round, and they had a large selection of brands and grains, but....again, don't know much about the round. Anyone have any info? Thx.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
9/11/14 @ 8:12 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06
By the way, If someone wants to buy some 7mm-08 factory ammo, Remington and Winchester 140gr. I have some. I will sell it for $25 per box. PM me if interested. I am in the Wausau area.
9/9/14 @ 8:01 PM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
Bought my son a savage 7mm-08 youth model for his 10th birthday. He killed his 200 pound bear with it stone cold dead with one shot. I read alot about them, I dont think you'll be dissapointed. Alot better caliber all around than the .243
9/2/14 @ 7:14 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10
Appreciate the info fellas, I'm sold. Heading out to pick it up, soon as we get home this evening. The only negative I see, as someone mentioned, a little more cost per round to shoot it. That's minor. Thx again.
9/2/14 @ 6:56 AM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
7mm-08 is a great deer caliber w/ 140 or 150 grain bullets. I load 140's for my brother and 154 gr. Normandy round nose for me.
9/2/14 @ 5:45 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
Browning makes the X-Bolt and A-Bolt in left hand too. The 7mm-08 or 243 would be a great choice.
9/1/14 @ 11:45 PM
Derek022
User since 5/27/08
I just bought a new deer rifle a couple years ago. I wanted a 308. but found a really nice wood stocked 7mm/08 so I took the plunge. It's got the ballistics with a 140gr bullets as the 308. with 150gr. But it's got alot less recoil, sweet cartridge for all game up to black bear. 243. is great for deer but I personally would buy a gun in a caliber that my kids could use the rest of their life, and 243. is a bit small. Thats's my opinion i'm sure they'll love either choice! Last minute thought 243. IS cheaper to shoot with a better variety of bullets.
9/1/14 @ 2:45 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
I got both my kids the 7mm-08 also as I wanted something just a tad bigger than a 243, and I am glad I did. I buy the 50% reduced recoil load/Remington 140gr and it works wonderful!
9/1/14 @ 8:59 AM
land man
User since 9/12/06
The 7mm-08 is a wonderful deer caliber. Recoil is only a little more than a 243, but with a lot more bullet penetration. I used a 7mm-08 to kill the largest buck of my life (in pounds, not antler size). It did the job wonderfully. In my opinion the 140 grain bullet is best. I killed a number of other deer with that caliber and it always worked flawlessly. Some of the younger hunters in our group used 7mm-08 youth rifles and have had excellent results with it. The only time we had to track a deer was when the young hunter gut shot one. We recovered that one too. Some of the young hunters are staying with 7mm-08s even when they outgrow the youth rifles. I hope your son has a lot of fun killing deer with the 7mm-08.
9/1/14 @ 6:56 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
You probably could not find a much better all around round for someone to start with and probably hunt the majority of game in North American than the 7mm-08. It offer a large selection of .284 caliber bullets and is a relatively easy shooting rifle. Nothing wrong with the .243, and without starting any arguments its a marginal caliber that requires solid bullet placement. Go with the 7mm-08 and don't look back in IMHO. Shoot straight and shoot often GF
9/1/14 @ 5:29 AM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
bought my son a 7mm-08 for his first season. it is a ruger 77m youth. really nice shooter. put a good scope on it. he's taken several bucks with it and all but one dropped in their tracks. the other went 30 yds. he still uses it to this day and i wouldnt hesitate to use it either. imo it is a better choice than a 243. also 2 black bear have been taken with it with no issues.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE