MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Pier Fishermen's Thread

3/23/11 @ 11:22 AM
INITIAL POST
addisonlee
addisonlee
User since 8/1/06
For all you shorefishermen/pierfishermen and women, this threads for you! Feel free to share different techinques that have worked for you over the years from shore and/or on the piers. Whether its how you get bait, how you hook your bait to how you cook your catch. Pictures are welcome.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 171 posts
10/2/15 @ 6:25 PM
frozentoo
User since 7/27/12
Whistling Gull I'm the guy on the R! Email me at [email protected] & we'll take it from there! Wink
9/28/15 @ 3:00 AM
TigerMiller13
TigerMiller13
User since 7/23/13
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Ready...Always gotta be some jerkoffs to ruin it for those of us who are still civilized..
9/27/15 @ 10:44 AM
RUREADY4STORM
User since 9/27/15
My landing net walked off the South Pier in Two Rivers WI on Labor Day weekend. Any info or help in finding my net would be greatly appreciated. Description: Sun faded olive drab green handle with black hoop and net. Handle is made out of octagonal shaped aluminum with a black end cap and extends from approx. 12-18 ft. Handle has my name and address engraved in it but the address is not current. Note: Also left info with Scott @ Seagull and some locals as well.
8/25/15 @ 9:54 PM
mostlyfishing
User since 6/7/13
anybody gettin anything yet, Ive been out on the piers lately, ive see a few fish, gotten a few hits but havent got anything hooked up yet. i know its kinda early yet but Just wondering whats going on around the rest of the lake?
7/2/15 @ 11:07 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Best time for us shore fishermen is usually fall through spring. In summer, the wind direction is everything. West wind for a few days typically brings the bait fish, and thus the salmon/trout, in. Once fall comes around, fish piers/harbors in early fall and then move to rivers for salmon through the end of fall. You can also fish for trout in the pier/harbors and rivers starting in mid-fall through spring. Usually harbors are best early, then rivers later on. Each year is different, though. The past 3-4 summers have been just awful for us pier guys. Last fall was awful with the cold temps, but the fall before that was great. The past few springs were weird, too, with the weather and low-waters. As for time of day, you can't fish the rivers from Sept 15-May 15th until a half-hour before sunrise to a half-hour after sunset (DNR rules to prevent snagging), but typically I do best right around sunrise and sunset in the harbor/pier. But really, I have had success at all times of day. I have been skunked from 5 am until 1 pm, then done well at 1 pm. I have also done hot at 5 am, then skunked after. The fish bite when they are hungry. For gear, it depends on river or harbor or pier. Harbor/pier cleos, champs and kastmasters being casted work well (1/3 to 3/4 oz usually). Spinners and cranks work, too. Spawn under a float or on bottom works. On a river, it's usually spinners or floating spawn. Wax worms, minnows, nightcrawlers are also used with success. I have heard of them caught on chicken liver, even. Longer poles (8'-12' are usually used) are better, but I have caught them on 6' walleye rods. I prefer 12 lb test for salmon and 8 for trout. Not a fireline guy, but a lot of people use it. I prefer mono, but hey, whatever works for ya. And most importantly, be respectful to the resources and other fishermen. Lots of jerks out there, so please try to not be one of them. If you notice a guy not catching them, offer advice. Net fish for guys. Pick up after yourself and others. Don't snag fish and CPR what you won't eat. My greatest feeling fishing was teaching these kids (that reminded me of myself back in the day) my method for harbor fishing and then seeing them catch a 10 lb brown using my method; they were so excited they ran to me and showed me it, while telling me it was using my technique lol.
7/2/15 @ 9:42 AM
Red Ratso
User since 1/12/08
Im just getting into salmon fishing and am limited to shore fishing. Im just looking for some general info on gear to use and best times to go after salmon. Thanks in advance for any knowledge provided.
6/28/15 @ 8:44 PM
Fishing Dude!!
User since 2/29/12
Is anyone have any luck? Or is it a bit early still.
9/27/14 @ 10:09 PM
Mott Crue
User since 9/26/14
I just started fishing the peirs in Manitowoc, any advice would be helpful. Also is anyone catching any near me, if so what time of day and what are you using?? Any help would be great
9/24/14 @ 6:55 PM
skamaniac
skamaniac
User since 6/15/05
Burnout Bash this weekend!! Can't wait
9/4/14 @ 2:34 PM
Mozz
User since 8/26/14
Great Fish luv2hunt. It is very tempting to hit Racine of Kenosha. It is only 3 1/2 drive. not much farther then Waukegan. Where would i go to fish if in Rancine, and will there still be kings there in late Sept.
9/4/14 @ 2:07 PM
luv2hunt&fish
User since 9/5/11
Mozz if I was you take a little drive to either Kenosha or Racine harbor. Fish are being caught off of our piers here in Racine. Here is one I got early Tuesday morning.
9/4/14 @ 9:40 AM
Mozz
User since 8/26/14
Cabbage Head. I would love to be able to fish various harbors in frequent trips, but unfortunately I only have a 48 hour fishing trip. I live in central Illinois and work for me becomes busy in Sept. so the windows of opportunity are those 2 days, sadly enough.
9/3/14 @ 8:09 PM
cabbage head
User since 9/28/04
Mozz........why not prepare for hitting multiple harbors per weekend . if the first is deadsville , hit another . watch the weather / rain .
9/3/14 @ 10:13 AM
Mozz
User since 8/26/14
I need help on a pier to fish the fall salmon. I have a 2 day opportunity to drive up north and fish. 2 years ago I went to government pier and was skunked. Please help to increase my odds. I am leaving Sept. 23-24. Would it be better to fish government pier or Winthrope?
9/2/14 @ 9:47 AM
wifishingfever
User since 5/30/06
I use circle hooks for my spawn set-ups. They've worked great for me!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 171 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE