SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

How Many Trips/How Many Kings in 2015

4/26/16 @ 9:39 PM
INITIAL POST
thinblueline
User since 1/25/10
I'd be curious to hear from everybody how many outings you had on Lake Michigan in 2015, and approximately how many king salmon you boated. I'd also be interested in knowing how many times you got skunked for king salmon, as well as what was the biggest number of kings you boated in one outing. Thanks for humoring me.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
5/9/16 @ 11:51 PM
Princecraft01
User since 8/25/14

Grey Beard, 

I can recall off hand only around 5-8 that had clips the rest had their adipose fin.  I talked to the federal surveyors after one of the better outings in September and I asked them what their percentage was natural vs. clipped and they told me it was 70/30.  I have not seen any Lakers banged up from rooting the bottom and actually the three we kept Sunday had smelt in their stomachs.  The big brown we got was full of alewives and I got two small chinooks 8-10'' that both had their adipose fin (both in front of the power plant).  All I know is this year is going to be very interesting for the size of chinooks seeing the average size is 12-17lbs and it's only May.  One of the Lakers and Chinooks I got earlier last week even had skein developing in it.

How Many Trips/How Many Kings in 2015 photo by Princecraft01
5/8/16 @ 6:07 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

Princecraft: When I saw that you had pictures of 28 kings I wondered if you looked to see how many had their adipose fin?

I didn't keep track last year like I had in the past. Most of my kings had their adipose fin. Our best day was 10, 8 were mature and all had thier adipose fin. The other two were clipped. First outing this season 3 kings with adipose fins and the big one got away. Nice, really nice that some were around. All the doom and gloom we were wondering if we would get any especially this early.

The kings had alewife. The coho had gobies and unlike the kings are adaptive eaters. Kings are pelagic and won't scrape the bottom for food. Have you caught a Lake with a banged up nose from rooting throught the rocks after gobies?

Grey Beard

5/7/16 @ 4:02 AM
Princecraft01
User since 8/25/14

spent a lot of time on the water last year and just from looking back at pictures i had 28 that got their pics taken but no clue how many others were caught.  best day was 10-13 with a 6 rod spread

5/7/16 @ 4:02 AM
Princecraft01
User since 8/25/14

5/7/16 @ 4:01 AM
Princecraft01
User since 8/25/14

5/1/16 @ 10:25 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Perhaps 8 trips and caught maybe 6-8 kings. From what I saw via reports last year, it was quite tough around Milwaukee for almost everyone. If you were fishing around Algoma, and/or ports close by, the fishing appeared to be much, much better (with unclipped fish). I have lost all interest in chasing kings now. I figure on focusing on rainbows and lakers this year.
5/1/16 @ 8:02 AM
quantumleap
PRO MEMBER User since 5/31/07
Fished 31 trips in the 2015 season and caught 98 kings (75 wild, 23 planted).The king catch rate was very similar to 2014 and about 50% lower than the previous 15 seasons. Cool
4/29/16 @ 11:25 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
15 trips 62 kings 5 bows and 1 laker. best day was 8 kings. only 1 skunk which was the last outing in October. all out of Algoma and mostly evening trips
4/28/16 @ 9:34 PM
J B
User since 3/10/02
Probably 10 trips. Guessing 5 kings. More lakers and steelhead. Skunked twice when fishing for tough mid-late summer. Reports indicated it was slow, but had to try. Missed the cohos last year for the most part. Hoping to get some this year and will travel south of the stateline if needed this year. Looking forward to this year. Need the wind to settle down though.
4/28/16 @ 8:41 PM
Remi
User since 3/23/05
3 trips. 4 kings, 8 rainbows. Only fished out of Algoma.
4/28/16 @ 7:09 PM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07
19 trips, 3 different ports, roughly 55 kings and equal number of rainbows along with at least 20 lakers. Roughly half the kings were clipped, best month again was june, but july was stellar as well. No skunks but did come close once with a rainbow finding the boat just before pulling lines. Average number of fish was 8 with the best trip at 18. Fishing is still pretty good just way different than 4-6 years ago when there were many more fish stocked. Change, change, change is all I can suggest. When you think a bait is hot, it won't be.
4/27/16 @ 11:16 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
26 trips, 56 kings. 2 trips where I got skunked. One of those skunks I went 0-5 when I just couldn't hook up - little did I realize my fly on my flasher fly was crooked. Lesson learned. All from the pleasure of my kayak running 2 rods. Probably batted about 60%. The cold water in tight last year helped the kayakers catch a lot of kings. Caught them from 8 fow out to 110 fow. From Racine all the way up to Manitowoc. Beauty of having a kayak is you can launch off the beach where the bite is. Most of the kings from May-July were unclipped, and August-September were clipped. Also the vast majority were in the 12-16 lb range with the biggest being 25 lbs, 39.5", caught in mid-June. Probably had them dialed in the best in mid-July during Salmon-a-rama. 19 hours of fishing, 16 kings. 2 rods.
4/27/16 @ 6:24 AM
snipe n
User since 9/10/07
6 trips 3 kings. 4 of the trips were skunks for Kings. Sweating
4/27/16 @ 5:50 AM
Rabbit
User since 4/22/02
around 12 trips we averaged about 1.2 Kings for total(14), all had no fins clipped.If it were not for the rainbows it would have been not worth going.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE