SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Salmon & Trout In Lake Michigan!

11/21/15 @ 7:03 PM
INITIAL POST
HAPYDZ
User since 9/20/15
You are invited to attend our club's, the Great Lakes Sport Fishermen Club - Ozaukee Chapter, Tuesday December 1st monthly membership meeting. The meeting held at the Railroad Station hall, 200 S. Railroad Street in Saukville, WI, will start at 7:00 p.m. and is open to all interested persons. There is no charge to attend it! The evening's guest speaker will be S.E. WI Lake Michigan DNR Work Unit Supervisor Brad Eggold. Brad will be covering a lot of very interesting topics related to our Salmon & Trout fishing on the Big Pond. He will also be answering questions from the floor! Our monthly raffle will also take place and there will be smoked Salmon and/or Trout to munch on. For more info phone Club President Bob at (262) 644-8481!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
3/5/16 @ 2:31 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
That report about natural spawning on our side of the lake is misleading in my opinion. The number of sites, the number of visits, and the constraints placed on the survey teams are unrealistic to get a valid assessment. In consideration of the natural reproduction coming out of Michigan we also need to consider that they began de-damming, and restoring their watersheds almost 60 years earlier than Wisconsin; furthermore, our restoration work has been very limited, and constantly obstructed.
1/4/16 @ 12:47 PM
Hockeypl17
User since 12/12/11
This question isn't related to the last couple of posts. I haven't seen any recent posts from Eric Haataja. Any reason why?
12/18/15 @ 9:33 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01
After reading the report, I stand behind my thoughts as even the warmer water species have poor recruitment. At the tournemnts I fish, I hear numbers that 50% of chins being caught are natural. That is the speak I do not by into. Mother nature finds a way for life to continue,, and I was at the Port Power plant when the little coho was shown to Ranger Wolf from Sauk creek. I just don't buy the numbers being spoken of, maybe 2-5% of chins are natural, the rest from Canadian plants. I still think Michigan is telling stories as they save Millions of dollars by not running the hatcheries like years past.
12/18/15 @ 8:55 AM
bigmommabrown
User since 3/29/11
CCA: The DNR did do a study to test natural reproduction of trout and salmon in Wisconsin. There is some natural reproduction in our waters. It's a long report but should answer your question. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/Documents/LakeMichigan/NaturalReproductionSalmonidSurvey.pdf
12/18/15 @ 7:58 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01
Question: If natural reproduction is happening for chinooks, why do we not see natural browns, rainbow, and coho? Especially trout as they are warmer water species? That is why I say all non-fin clips are from Lake Huron. Thoughts?
12/11/15 @ 9:52 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
I don't think the run was that great on that side either. It was a weird run this year with a lack of rain around prime time. And with the cold water in tight, we had silver fish in the harbors during low light hours in mid-late August this year. Hell, I just caught a zombie king, which smoked a crank 2 weeks ago as the sun was coming up. We're finally feeling the stocking cuts. What was most worrisome to me was the lack of shakers I caught this year. Hopefully others caught some because I only caught 2 this year in my kayak.
12/11/15 @ 7:23 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
Has anyone heard how the run was on the Michigan side where these salmon reproduce in some of the rivers? Did those rivers get a decent run?
12/9/15 @ 8:52 AM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
There's some big unclipped fish as well... this was my 25 lber I caught outta Port this year in my kayak. But that was the only big unclipped fish. Most of the 56 kings I caught in the kayak this year were unclipped, but most of those were in the 12-16 lb range like you experienced, CCA. But interesting to finally hear about the Canada stocks.
Salmon & Trout In Lake Michigan! photo by markrazzy
12/9/15 @ 7:41 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01
Finally the truth about the Canadian plants, people have called me crazy for far too long. I am glad this finally came out. There is a reason every chin I caught over 20# is clipped and 13-16 lbs are not. that extra year to swim affects them!!!! That 70's Boat Port Washington
12/8/15 @ 2:40 PM
srs1978
User since 2/12/15
" 4. If you caught a fish with adipose fin it was wild or stocked in Canada." Now that is the first I've seen about Canada .. I knew all those fish at the KD could not be ALL naturals Thanks RR
12/8/15 @ 12:43 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
1. You should have attended Wink. 2. No way I could repeat all the info and statistics he presented accurately as it was almost overwhelming but extremely informative. 3. Its not doom and gloom. 4. If you caught a fish with adipose fin it was wild or stocked in Canada.
12/5/15 @ 2:44 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
I think people would like to hear it, bad news or not. The state of the open water fishery of Lake Michigan is important to a lot of people. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions that it is all doom and gloom simply because nothing has been posted yet. Some people are busy or don't visit the site every day.
12/4/15 @ 10:40 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Guess you should have gone to the meeting if you really wanted to know that bad. A chat board on a fishing site is a horrible place to gather information you plan to use towards "your cause".
12/2/15 @ 3:28 PM
Fishercreek
User since 10/2/05
So you can twist it for the perch thread? Puke Puke Puke Puke
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE