MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Micro LeadCore

3/5/15 @ 12:30 PM
INITIAL POST
MPOPP
MPOPP
User since 3/28/11
Anyone got opinions on the new Micro LeadCore. Seems really nice and can have a better line capacity. I am thinking of rigging up a 10 and 7 color on Okuma Convector 30's with the stuff. Anyone recommend a brand? Thanks,
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
5/3/17 @ 2:11 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Jb: I run standard blood run 27# leadcore and really like it. 16$ For 100 yard spool isn't too bad either. I back it with 30lb power pro high Vis line

5/1/17 @ 9:13 PM
J B
User since 3/10/02

This micro lead core has been out for a few years now. What's everyone's thoughts by now? I'm looking to setup my first lead rod. Thinking a couple short cores for early cohos to get used to it. What's the best knot to use? Braid backer Bette than mono? Thanks!

3/23/15 @ 2:31 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
From just my personal use, I find it to be pretty darn close to the same. 10 color still hits bottom in 50 so did the old style. The size of the actual lead is the same on both so the weight is the same, the diameter and the sheathing is what is different. It does sink a little faster on the slow side of a turn.
3/20/15 @ 11:22 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
Jason - how does the dive curve of the 27lb tuf micro lead compare with 27lb standard leadcore?
3/19/15 @ 8:44 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
tuf-line 27
3/9/15 @ 2:51 PM
pollockalope
pollockalope
User since 6/30/08
VERY INTERESTING!!!! Can someone recommend brand and what pound test their using??? Thanks! Lope
3/8/15 @ 9:04 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
Would not run anything but, from here on out. The hypnotic action I don't really think holds that much weight after fishing with both over the past few seasons. The important part of any lead core is getting stuff away from the boat. You should not tie it with the sheath method true, but with the smaller diameter I tie a copper knot with the micro and the knot is as big as the old knot with traditional lead. This stuff is the real deal. I would however consider using power pro backer if you are going to try to fit a 10 color on a 30, depends on how lucky you feel if you go with mono backer on a 30 size reel. Me, for my 10's I went with a 45 size reel to remove all doubt. I love this stuff.
3/6/15 @ 6:44 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
I was at a seminar recently and this was discussed. Many of the people feel like the action is more similar to copper action, then regular leadcore. I heard a lot people stating they would stick with their regular leadcore for that hypnotic action, and use their copper since that will get them further down than the new leadcore. I don't have any experience with this type of leadcore, just letting you know what I heard from others.
3/6/15 @ 5:33 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
We ran some on a 10-color last season and liked it. In time, I'll probably switch all the way over to it. One question remains for me: The best part of (traditional) leadcore is the hypnotic action you get from the buoyant dacron sheath countered by the lead weight. With the new stuff, I'm not certain it's all that different, but I wonder: If this stuff is 'welded' (<-- not the right word) does it change the hypnotic action? Couple observations from last year: 1) It cuts the water better. My board ran farther forward on my 10-color than did on my 7 and 5 color of traditional leadcore (yes, on similar baits). 2) You feel more fight from the fish (only caught maybe 3 or 4 on this setup) 3) You get more backing on the reel (kind of obvious, I know) But, the same sink rate....better fighting action, I think it'll replace traditional lead core on our boat.
3/6/15 @ 10:32 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
A friend of mine bought the TUF line micro lead. The one thing I will say is that it is nearly impossible to tie a Willis knot with this stuff. Due to the small diameter, I could not get the 20# mono into the braid sheath. We used an albright knot which is strong, but bulkier when finished. It seemed to fish just fine.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE