MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Spring coho

2/6/15 @ 5:39 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am SICK OF WINTER ALREADY!!!! Can't wait to troll and bang up some delicious cohos! I am converting my downrigger rods (Shimano Talora) over to keel weighted planer board lines this year, and using some ugly stiks for the riggers. My spread will consist of 2 rods with 3/8 oz keels, 2 with 5/8 oz keels, a 2 color and 3 color, and 2 medium dipsies set at 28 loc on a 1.5 set. Running all coho rigs (red dodger and peanut fly). Might run 1 rigger deeper for early kings/big browns. Anybody else getting the itch? Big Smile
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
5/7/17 @ 5:28 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

They are here now

5/4/17 @ 2:12 PM
irishff
User since 1/17/07

Go out deeper. 150 to 200

5/2/17 @ 7:25 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Got into a pile of them out on Superior a couple weeks ago. Put 46 browns and coho in the boat in about 10 hours. Everything on stick baits. Heck of a fun day.

5/2/17 @ 6:52 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

My guess is they are even deeper out there, michigan side fishing very deep 200-250, they are saying shrimp are thick out there? Not to mention alewives should be starting the slow push to spawning grounds soon.

5/1/17 @ 7:11 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Has anyone been getting into them yet? Tried a trip for them but ended up with just lakers and browns out of Milwaukee is 40-90fow

6/12/15 @ 1:37 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
Yes
6/8/15 @ 2:58 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
Any Coho north of Milwaukee at all?
5/22/15 @ 7:06 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I know the reports south of the border (Waukegan to north of Chicago) look really good, just wondering if it is really worth it to launch in K-town and fish south toward state line for hos. Not interested in taking 5 hours to get 5-10 coho, if something out in 100+ is better for multi-species. Anyone who has been out recently and could make a solid suggestion I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys/gals and tight lines!! Work has consumed me lately so I have little to no recon to go on. Again thanks. Jimmy
5/1/15 @ 8:11 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK. I was gonna work tomorrow morning, and I still may, depending on the wind and any favorable reports. I wanted to launch out of Racine and target cohos very early a.m., and switch gears if necessary for kings/lakers. I am wondering if anyone has any reliable intel as far as fishing a bit deeper for kings/lakers, or am I wasting my time? Mother Nature has conspired against us lately with colder temps and NE wind. Just trying to formulate a reasonable plan and get on some silver fish if possible. I have caught enough seefo's and would like to avoid them if possible. Thanks guys for any sage advice. Tight lines! Jimmy
4/5/15 @ 10:51 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Chased them out of South Shore and notta. 3 browns, 0 hos. Guess it is still early for the main school. Some guys have gotten them, not me. I will tho. Just a matter of time.
4/5/15 @ 10:13 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
Started catching them from shore over a week ago and met a guy who said he them with browns off the rocks when the last ice cubes were still in floating near the rocks. (Btw, just like last year)
3/27/15 @ 10:52 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Years ago, about 30 years ago, when I reported to my first school out of Navy boot camp in Great Lakes IL, I would go down to the south breakwall and cast out tiny traps (1/8 oz) in chrome/blue back for cohos. I would work them just under the surface and you could see the v's in the water chasing it down. What an incredible way to catch them! I wondered if anyone else has tried this/does this? I had to replace the cheap hooks or they got trashed right away. Cool
3/16/15 @ 2:22 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
What's crazy is when you're checking speed with the bait 10 feet to the side and a fish smacks it! Hit it right and you can limit off the government pier...
3/16/15 @ 1:52 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Mid-April in Kenosha and maybe Racine. Early May is usually prime. Once the water temp reaches mid-forties generally, so it seems to me anyway.
3/16/15 @ 12:20 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01
When do you guys typically start coho fishing?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 38 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE