MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Fly leader lengths for kings

6/30/14 @ 2:31 PM
INITIAL POST
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
Just wondering if people adjust their leader lengths throughout the season for kings and if so how you go about it. Do you just retie a bunch with longer lengths or is there some other way to do it? I have heard of some people starting with longer lengths earlier in the year and shorten them up as the season goes on but I have also heard of people starting around 23" then going up to 26" as the season progresses. What seems to work well for you guys? Right now I just have mine at 23".
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
10/30/14 @ 10:48 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
Could you share the link to that video. I'm not doubting it in any way just want to see how they are fishing .
10/23/14 @ 2:42 PM
Horseman47
Horseman47
User since 6/16/11
Was watching a fishing program on the World Fishing Network and they were fishing Salmon with the same f/f combos we use here. The only difference was the leader length from the flasher/dodger to fly or spoon. It was 4 to 6 feet. I couldn't believe it so I tried it and it works. I remember watching videos of Salmon trying to smack a fly but kept missing because the fly was darting around so much. The longer leader length makes sense. The longer the leader the less darting. The less darting the more strikes because they now can catch it....Try it, you'll like it.
8/26/14 @ 8:29 PM
rsie102779
rsie102779
User since 4/15/04
My F/F bite has been very slow this year as well. A friend recommended longer leads so i increased from 23 to 28". Haven't fished enough yet to know if that made a difference. If the fish have been neutral to negative for a large portion of the season - my simple brain tells me that a longer lead might be better. Interestingly, i read an article on lake michigan angler the other night that discussed the amount of hardware not only attaches on the front end of the flasher but the back end as well - and i got to thinking - i do have a lot of hardware - large swivels - really large - on both side. My thinking was that larger had better ball bearings would tangle less but also the large ones have the - "easy load" - that's what i call - ends that allow for quick connections and disconnections. And i got to thinking that this might impact my slow bight more - maybe much more - than 3-4-5" either way on a lead. The article suggested that minimizing the amount of hardware should increase the number of strikes. Can one of the veterans address that for this newbie. What i do know is that my f/f and wire dipsey f/f should be catching a lot more fish - they have significantly lagged all year - i have caught some bigger fish but the numbers are down - way down. thanks, rjs
8/25/14 @ 7:58 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
Or tied to the flasher with a simple loop ?
8/25/14 @ 7:43 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
To me there is a ton of variables and technics that go along with flasher flys. Let's just start at the fly . The fly can be made in 1000 different ways thus changing the weight and then changing the action of the fly . For instance treble hook or no treble hook . Treble hook and top octopuses hook . Beads made of plastic beads made of glass . Plastic head or tubing head. Reverse tie or standard tie . Then we need to look at the flasher side of the fly is it attached with a single clasp , a swivel and clasp , the big swivel that comes with the flasher plus a second clasp and swivel . And then what is the standard way to measure loop to hook , loop to fly nose , swivel to fly nose swivel to end of hook .
8/7/14 @ 8:40 AM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
User since 4/3/14
I have leader length of 23" from top of loop to bottom of hook. My flasher/fly bite has been pitiful this year and was wondering if guys are running anything different to trigger strikes. Here are two victims of spoons behind slide divers.
7/1/14 @ 6:49 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
I am measuring from end of loop to bend in hook.
7/1/14 @ 6:38 PM
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
User since 3/6/10
One thing you gotta figure out is how to measure your leader length.. some guys measure it from the end of the loop to the top of the fly or from the top of the loop to the bottom of the hook. That can make all the difference right there.. anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 inches difference. My advice for kings this time of year is a shorter leader on spindocters. My normal is 24 from top of loop to top of fly, but this time year on I usually go 22 inches.
7/1/14 @ 10:11 AM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
Thanks. Looks like I will be lengthening them up a bit.
7/1/14 @ 7:41 AM
cruiser
User since 6/24/01
I never go shorter than 26"
7/1/14 @ 5:13 AM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07
length should be 3 times longer than flasher
7/1/14 @ 1:18 AM
smokercraft427
User since 4/16/06
Kings W/ 8" flasher 24", coho W/00 dodger, 18"...all season.
6/30/14 @ 4:29 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
28 for flies, 42 for brads.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE