MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Rod Holders

4/23/14 @ 2:05 PM
INITIAL POST
MPOPP
MPOPP
User since 3/28/11
Getting into trolling on the big lake. Not fanatic, but its a blast. Have not hit large fish yet, but are Ram Rod holders able to take a King hit with boards? Have had walleyes, northern, and ski's on them, but wanted to make sure I don't lose a fish or rod. Thanks,
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/24/14 @ 9:36 AM
Live & Learn
User since 1/2/13
Traxstech has just recently (past year) come out with a new racheting rodholder that is sweet. It indexes like a fine micrometer with no difficulty engaging with or without a dipsie,wire line and 28lb King. The only issue that I have had with mine is learning that the engagement pin only travels a 1/16 (or less) of an inch before I can start lifting the holder to verticle. Remembering the difficulty I have had with other holders I keep wanting to pull the pin farther when in fact it has alreading disengaged effortlessly. Great piece of equipment!
4/24/14 @ 8:50 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
For boards that should be no problem. Have taken some big dogs off the boards pulling TX 44s and 300 copper out of those scottys and have never worried about them. I know everyone says not to run dipseys out of them but I did it for years with no problems before I upgraded my dipsey holders. Keep the drags light so they can take out a little line on impact and you will be fine.
4/23/14 @ 11:25 PM
MPOPP
MPOPP
User since 3/28/11
Thanks. I have been setting the drag lighter on the dipseys until I can get some stouter holder. Thinking transtechs.
4/23/14 @ 5:15 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14
I use them for my board rods and have caught fish up to 24 pounds. Like stated previously, wouldn't use them for dipsey holders. With boards, the hit doesn't put any additional strain on the holder, the fish just pull the board back for the most part.
4/23/14 @ 3:25 PM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
they should be ok for use with boards. I wouldn't trust em on a dipsey though
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE