SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

What did this?

3/11/12 @ 11:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Herky
User since 6/12/03
So the wife and I are out on our property in Sauk Co. Wisconsin to check some deer cameras and we came across these trees all chewed up. The trees are dead and quite rotten. I've never seen this before and not sure what did it. The trees are 8 inches in diameter and appear to be chewed on one side half way through. The shavings look like beaver except they came from five to 8 feet off the ground. You can see what looks to me like teeth marks of a beaver type animal that appear to be 2 inches wide or so. I doubt its manbearpig, yeti or chewcabera. Maybe porcupine? Not familiar with them. So what did this?
What did this? photo by Herky
Displaying 21 to 30 of 34 posts
3/12/12 @ 4:46 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Got dozens of trees like that on our lease in shawano county, its them big woodpeckers. Best ones are when they leave an inch of dead wood holding up 10ft of tree above it, 15ft off the ground...widowmakers.
3/12/12 @ 4:08 PM
Ham25
User since 8/9/11
I'm going to go with whatever BAGSFARMBOY says on this one.
3/12/12 @ 3:36 PM
dac
User since 12/15/08
BIGFOOT Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile
3/12/12 @ 2:49 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I think it was a Bearpecker. The wood pecker probably started on the tree and found some insects or grubs. The bear woke up hungry and finished the job. Or vice versa.
3/12/12 @ 12:42 PM
theimer
theimer
User since 12/11/05
I think it was a porcupine I seen this kind of damage before in columbia county before. Maybe it was a pileated woodpecker I see about 3 to 5 every year bow hunting in Columbia/ Sauk county area. It's unlikely a bear because there is only an occasional bear in the sauk and Columbia county area. I seen an area where there was about 15 to 20 trees damage like that.
3/12/12 @ 12:31 PM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
maybe a beaver during deep snow?
3/12/12 @ 11:28 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
1st 2 pic look like the damage of a giant pileated woodpecker, but the 3rd looks like a bear took over.
3/12/12 @ 8:58 AM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
bears do that to mark their territory. you can tell especially by the third one with the horizontal teeth marks. whoever can bite the highest is the biggest dog on the block. its not as cool when they decide to do this kind of thing on the posts that are holding up your fancy deer stand.
3/11/12 @ 11:40 PM
Herky
User since 6/12/03
Hopefully well have an answer in a few days. I have a deer camera about 10 feet from these trees but its pointing the wrong direction. Tomorrow if I get time I will turn it around. Most of this showed up in the last week.
3/11/12 @ 11:32 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
I see this alot in the woods I hunt in oconto county. I think its them huge red headed wood peckers.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 34 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE