MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Wild Pigs./ Big Flats, Wis

11/13/11 @ 9:46 PM
INITIAL POST
BAGS FARMBOY
BAGS FARMBOY
User since 9/26/11
Starting to see alot of them in Big Flats, Arkdale and Adams. Anybody else have reports in this area for Wild Hogs?
Displaying 16 to 30 of 33 posts
11/17/11 @ 2:07 AM
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
If you don't think that hogs cause damage to crop and land then you have not looked or have been down there to see it. I haven't been down to the "big" probem areas but I have been to Tennessee and you can see many areas where they have hog problems. They have one of the highest concentration of bear population in the country yet they have more problem with hogs than they do with bear causing problems. Hogs are a HUGE HUGE problem down south. They can destroy a whole field in a night if there are enough of them. The hogs are not to nice either and aren't that easy to hunt. From what I hear, fact or myth, is that it only takes a pig about 1 week in the wild to turn "wild". With that being said just imagine if a pig farmer in central WI lets his pigs out and they are free for a week or 2 and breed. Those pigs multiply very quickly, they are almost like rats. They can reproduce pretty quick, have multiple offspring and cause lots of damage.....the only thing different from rats and pigs is that I would rather eat a pig than a rat.

11/16/11 @ 11:10 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
I find it hard to believe, I lived there for 15 years never seen one. Even if a domestic escaped the Coyotes or Wolves would have it gone real quick. Yes, there are Wolves there and Bears as well.

11/16/11 @ 9:50 PM
Kodiakman
Kodiakman
User since 3/21/04
Dixie isn't exactly known as agriculture mecca compared to the grain belt and WI. You don't see oceans of wheat and corn down there. Lots of onions, cotton, tobacco, fruit and nut bearing trees. Shows like Hog Wars, Hogzilla, etc. show how much those boys down there want to get rid of them. Especially the land owners. It's a losing battle. They are doing everything in their power to kill as many as possible. I really don't want them here. I can only imagine the chaos with ag tags this would bring up. Farmers are already clipping turkeys around here. That's the under the breath rumor at least. Add in these feeding machines...... A 40 plot would be all gone come harvest time. Gone.

Cute notion, bad idea. Look at it from an angle other than it would be cool to kill something. Pretty sure the feds DNR has this right at least, and they say kill one sight on scene. Talk about a invasive species, VHS is a joke to this. Take a trip down to Texas, it isn't that expensive to do it. You will pay more in gas getting there and back than anything else. Buddy up and take a crew. Few hundred bucks and you get a story too. Good deal.

11/16/11 @ 9:25 PM
Derek022
User since 5/27/08
I agree with pike 100%

11/16/11 @ 7:51 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/03
Not many running around Adams according to this, in fact it looks like they really knocked out the majority of pigs since 2004.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/Images/Publ/factsheets/pig/WisconsinFeralPigMap.pdf

11/16/11 @ 7:34 PM
Kodiakman
Kodiakman
User since 3/21/04
Hope not.

11/16/11 @ 4:27 PM
AlumaDoo
User since 4/12/09
Hmmm, not so sure. We've been making the journey up through there to Lake Petenwell for the last 4 years, every wknd, and have never seen a pig. Lots of strange things up that way, but I aint never seen no wild pigs...LOL.....

11/16/11 @ 3:11 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
been going up there for 40 yr never saw 1

11/14/11 @ 12:19 AM
canine_trapper
User since 8/26/06
I've been driving through those areas the last 2 weeks on my trapline. Never saw a feral pig in Adams County in my life. Hate to say it, but think you're seeing the flocks of turkeys out in the fields. Wondering
Displaying 16 to 30 of 33 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE